How They Blow What Little Dough They Got

The Manhattan clan stood at the Coney Island gates, looking up at the neon glory and the rides that spun in the night sky. Part of them was buzzing with joy and the rest was utterly nervous about the large crowd. Yes they were just regular young men, but they still somehow managed to feel like children without a parent, the only acceptation for this feeling was Les who they just had to bring since he'd been practically begging to go for weeks. He was getting a piggy back ride from Finch when they entered, and his eyes were sparking from the fluorescent pinks and blue night reflections.

"Mkay we're not here for a good time. We got that?" The frowns of disapproval were radiating but Jack just brushed it off and continued. "My god you know why we're here, for Jimothee!"
"FOR JIMOTHEE!" They repeated back triumphantly throwing their fists in the air, drawing a few odd looks from some tourists passing by.
"So split and conquer. We need that weird goldfish tossing game thing. Who's going where?" He looked at the boys who were pairing off or in small groups.
"I'll go with Fin-" Les began before Davey cut in.
"Ohhhh no you don't- sorry Finch- you're coming with me because I don't want you getting lost... again, sorry Finch." Davey took the young boy by the hand and stood next to Crutchie with him, Finch just shrugged with honest agreement.

When the groups were sorted, Jack headed off towards the East with Henry and Specs, the North was taken by Race and Albert, Finch covered the West with Romeo, and Elmer took the South with Ike and Mike. Davey, Les and Crutchie wandered around and since Les had to be babysat, him and Crutchie messed around a bit while Davey rolled his eyes waiting for them even though Les practically begged him to join.

Race and Albert were meant to be focused yes, but they saw a pretzel stand and instantly stopped when they sniffed the bread. "Dude- you want one?" Albert asked gazing at the golden pretzels.
"Fuck yes..." Race was almost drooling. Did they have any cash on them? Nope. But they had their ways.

"Hello good sir!" Albert began, a wide charismatic grin on his face as he casually leaned with one elbow on the stall counter. "Those are some gorgeous pastries you have there! It must have taken years to perfect."
The vender peered down at him with raised eyebrows. He was taken away by the actual conversation, the first one he had had all night supposedly. "Um... thank you? Yes I've had this business for seven years now."
"Well that's awesome," Albert looked at his name badge, "Mr Danny. Say, what's your secret?"
"My oh my you sure are passionate."
"What can I say, when I sees a good pretzel I must know the truth." He tainted smoothly.
"Aha well, that's my secret." Mr Danny touched the side oh his nose wisely, his plump fingers nudging the pink nose. "Would you like to try one?"

This is where the charisma came in handy. Albert patted his pockets and then looked at Race whispering "have you got any cash?" To which Race went with it and shrugged, nodding apologetically. "Crap, Mr Danny, I'm so sorry I don't have any money on me. To be fair we haven't the most to spare in general, since our job was shut down we've been unemployed." He looked down at his shoes, kicking the ground shamefully.
"I'm so sorry to hear that bud, employment is a rough one. Have one on the house. Your buddy want one as well?" The vender pointed his tongs at Race who smiled kindly at the offer. It was his turn.
"Sir I couldn't take away your business..."
"No please I insist!" He handed the boys two large steaming pretzels the size of their faces. They almost dropped them when they smelt how beautiful they were. "Aha what a pretzel can do is what I say. On the house kids." He gave them a warm grin and was clearly proud of his baking.

Turns out Alberts tactic hadn't been bullshit and now he was genuinely curious. What was the secret. He took a bite of the bread and practically exploded, they were perfect. Looking at Race, he was having the same reaction and almost hyperventilating at its perfection. They were so good perhaps they would be willing to drop all their savings on the delicacy next time, and if anything they felt slightly guilty from the second hand theft.

"Nice one, Albert, I owe you one." Race high fived his buddy and practically skipped around the stalls looking for the fish.

~~~

Jack walked with his hands in his pockets, searching for the tanks. He wanted to get out of there as soon as he could. The crowds were unsettling and he would rather be at home painting. The orange paint water from earlier had stained him and truthfully he felt like he had a terrible Trump tan. What felt like hours of walking in the public luminescence proved to be ten minutes when he met up with Race and Albert at the sector boarder. "Any luck fellas?" He asked them hopefully.
"Nah. You?" Albert asked Specs and Henry who were behind Jack.
"Eh we haven't really went the other way- where did you get that?" Specs pointed at the half pretzel Race had in his hands.
"Long story. Want some?" Race broke off a piece to which Specs eagerly accepted. Jack huffed knowing damn well what they were doing.

Heading back the other way, they chatted about the games and how they wanted to play. Dodger cars, water hamster balls, basic spin rides and even the bouncy castle, they envied being above the height range of the six year old kids who were jumping around in the bright plastic inflation.

"Race you cant do that-" Henry looked concerned at Race who had snuck a cigarette out of some guys pocket.
"Shut the fuck up you always steal..." Race put the smoke in his mouth.
"I'm not talking about that." Henry leaned in closer to his ear, "Deadass, you can't smoke around minors you idiot."
Race took the smoke out of his mouth and held it in front oh him. "Oh. Fine then." He quickly swiped a toothpick from a storefront and wasn't looking where he was going. As he put it in his mouth muttering to himself, he collided with another person.
"Shit sorry- well..."
"Ummmm hey?" Spot raised an eyebrow confused. "What are you?" He pointed between Race and him, confused trying to put the two together. The other Manhattan boys were silent, watching somewhat awkwardly. Race looked down at Spots arms.
"I could say the same thing to you but I ain't complaining seeing you now." He flirted.
Spot held himself together "I literally live here what the fuck are you doing here though, like seriously."
"Oh were looking for a ta- you didn't." Race realised what was in front of him.
"You're welcome, Babe." Spot held out a small fishbowl, where a small goldfish swam around freely.