How Jack Became An Expert Babysitter

Stepping off the train, the subway was full of low life's, Jack being one of them. Some carried suitcases and had eyes full of dreams, and apposing to those,  people carrying brief cases wearing a suit who had once been in their shoes however the dreams of the big NYC didn't work out and they ended up in an office working nine to five. A few pigeons crowded around an abandoned bagel, and a homeless man sat on the steps smiling at them. Perhaps he should have been the saddest in the space as he was less fortunate, but yet he seemed the most content out of all of them.

Jack walked up the stairs, smiling and nodding at the homeless man who he knew from a few months previous where they shared a sandwich together. Normally people would scatter from the poverty, but Jack knew how the streets treated folks. How they had treated his parents. There was no way he was letting someone be alone. They hadn't talked since then, but they had a silent deal to always smile in acknowledgment at each other while they continued on their day.

When the cold air hit Jack in the face like a stop sign, he regretted not bringing an extra layer of clothing, perhaps he should have stolen a hoodie from one of the boys. Pulling his beanie further down over his ears, he walked towards the Elementary School where Les's day would be finishing. He never really picked Les up, but he was the only one Davey trusted which was a horrible decision really; then again considering what happened when Albert and Race were trusted with the child, Jack was a major improvement. Sometimes he still wondered why Davey had trusted them in the first place, one of life's mysteries.

Checking his phone, a message from Davey was illuminating the screen.

D| Hey, thanks again. You're a legend. Les has Tap class after school so if you could drop him down at the Dance Studio on 128th Street that would be great, I'll pick him up from there. Stay if you want, they allow caregivers to watch.

He put the phone back in his pocket after liking the message. The bell rang and Les skipped out the door, dance bag by his side. "Jack! Why are you here? Is Katherine working here now?"
"Nah I'm here for you! Davey asked me to pick you up and drop you at dance lessons cause he's got some nerdy study thingy. You ok with that?"
"I'm almost ten I can go myself." He protested.
"Yeah, but who would be there to open automatic doors for you when you're too short?" Les pushed Jack at the side and he playfully nudged him off the pathway into the grass.

Deciding to walk the few blocks, Les balanced on the gutter, arms and bag at his side as he walked toe to toe, waving his arms for stabilisation. "So... Tap dancing? Isn't that kinda... lame?"
Les stopped in his tracks which put a halt to the commute and looked Jack in the eye. Straight faced with lack of emotion he said smoothly; "Mr Jack Kelly, clearly you have never seen Singing In The Rain." To which Jack responded by throwing his hands up in surrender as the ten year old single handily shut him down with one statement.

Jack had never been one with kids and wasn't sure how to make conversation with the child. He thought of what Katherine would do with her class. She once told him that any conversation was good, and no matter what, always be calm and treat them as human.

Deciding to fill the silence he blurted "How was school?"
"Ummm it was ok. English was terrible as always. Do you know what an adverb is?" He inquired.
"Kid, I couldn't tell you what three times three is. I dunno sorry."
"Yeah it's ok. David said he'd help me later."
"Ain't you doing so good?"

Les looked at the ground and kicked a pebble in front of him as they walked. "Nah. The teacher said I have to do more or else I'll fail. Dad said if I don't pass I can't tap anymore."
Jack looked at the child who was looking more defeated then he'd ever seen him before. He softened up and understood what Katherine meant by treating kids as human. "Man I'm sorry about that. He cant stop you from dancing can he?"
"You don't know what he's capable of..."
Considering that Les felt like family, this sent Jacks defence up. "What did he do to you? You and Davey ok?"
"David and I are fine. I just don't want to have to stop dancing, Jack." He was close to tears. "Dad said he'd burn the shoes! Burn them right on the fire pit!"
"Aye, it's ok. The fellas and me always got an open door for ya, if your father stops you from dancing in the house or your fancy school, you can always visit us. If he threatens you with that again, you keep your dance stuff at our place and I'll bring it to you when I pick you up. Albert won't admit but I heard he's a pretty good dancer himself."
"Albert? A good dancer?" He raised his eyebrows at Jack with curiosity. "You know the only reason you're picking me up is because of what Albert did when he collected me. He said we could 'warm up' on the Central Park Bridge-"
"That sounds fine..."
"-railing before rehearsal. 'Get the blood pumping'."
"Oh..."
"Yeah we fell into the lake and I missed class."
"Bloody Albert." Jack tried not to laugh at the thought of the small boy falling into the lake and Albert diving in after him, frantic and panicking at his lack of childcare experience. "But was he a good dancer?"
"Eh debatable, he has no rhythm." Les held the dance bag to his chest and Jack took the bag and swung it around his shoulder. They continued for another block.

The dance studio was a skinny building, one of the types where the actual dance space is upstairs and the entry is a skinny hall. It looked somewhat sketchy. Les skipped up the stairs and practically bounced through the door. "You coming, Jack?" He smiled behind him to where Jack was at the bottom of the stairs looking up at him. "Please?" He pouted down.
"Alright I'll stay for a bit, but only because I need to see what the big deal about this 'Tap' thing is."