Chapter Twenty-One: A Meeting of Minds

Now where would Her Majesty go? It was something he had to imagine. Which part of the town would her feet take her? What would capture her attention and who would she possibly approach for friendship?

He couldn't exactly imagine Rosalyn approaching the baker or the horseman with a beaming smile and cheerful expression. Nor would she shyly approach the bookshop or a trader.

She may have changed to some extent but that was downright opposite of her.

Instead he had to rely on something else, Sir Julius Ginellevé closed his eyes for a moment, he strolled into the town and allowed himself to walk through the main street.

Wherever she set her feet upon, surely there would always be something—

A tension hung in the air.

Anyone who could at least read the atmosphere notice something amiss, he could taste it. Opening his eyes, the townsmen seemed wary, rushed and even frantic. And he knew that one way or another, it had to be connected to her. She couldn't go anywhere without attracting one's eyes and with how things often ended up...something ought to happen to her or she'd do something herself.

"What did she get herself into this time?" He muttered to himself, people looked like they wanted to approach him.

Which meant they needed assistance.

And yet they also knew exactly who he was—and he wasn't the knight who saved the orphans and widows. They'd think twice and thrice before they'd ask for him. But finally the odd one out appeared, his gaze fell towards the unperturbed man heading towards him, or to be more exact, the castle.

A fellow with a top hat.

The attire worn by the man was clearly not of a simple townsman in the throes of daily living and of course the color scheme was also a dead giveaway.

His lips curled into a smile, meeting the man half way and he inclined a bow. "Ah, good day to you Sir of the Clover Kingdom—how is the Hearts Kingdom treating you? Do the sights make your heart rivet and twist in pleasure?"

"...I'm just about to return to the castle. I did enjoy the sights available here, uh... Knight?"

"Knight Ginellevé at your service, Sir." He stood up from his bow and kept the honeyed tone. "Returning to the castle so soon?"

"I have finished my affairs, the Kingdom of Hearts is not so different from mine."

He bit back a laugh shook his head, stepping closer and whispered, adopting a conspiring tone. "I'm quite sure that beneath its rustic appearance, this place can go beyond your expectations, Sir. Events that one wouldn't normally imagine that are often unavailable in other Kingdoms may be present here. Have you seen anything of that late?"

"Attendant Dimitri, a loyal servant to His Majesty, King Ivan Nordskov." The man tipped their hat, both movement and tone were measured and slow as they eyed him. They also took the chance to back a bit. "I'm not sure what exactly are you referring to..."

He chuckled and waved a hand, "Our Kingdom is not known for love and beauty without it being obvious everywhere."

"Ah! The ladies..." The man's expression relaxed for a minuscule as he placed his hat back on, "I suppose, but I've been too busy purchasing hats to notice. I dropped by a striking shop earlier, the Mad Hatter's shop. A curio name choice. Although I'm not sure if a Knight like yourself visits these places often?"

Hatter.

He blinked and smiled, "Not often but I find no reason to leave the castle except on duties bestowed to me by His Majesty. But I am familiar with that shop you speak of... I'm surprised it's still operating."

"Fine hats I say."

He didn't have time to discuss about hats and other pleasantries, he went about with his question at last. "It may be my bias but surely you would you agree with me that Her Majesty of Hearts is the most beautiful Queen you could lay your eyes on?"

"Well, she is definitely pretty...from what I've heard." The attendant laughed. "I haven't seen Her Majesty of Hearts in person, I'm afraid."

A little too late.

He smiled and approached the man, placing a hand on his shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "A pity to hear of that, but then again, not many do get the opportunity to see Her Majesty. I hope to escort you back to the castle, alas I have my errands. Have a good day Sir Dimitri, let's meet on better terms."

When they weren't lying to him face to face.

. . .

Soft fingers grasped behind the back of his shirt at the very same time that his bloodied hat was shoved in front of his face.

"I presume this is yours." The Knight of Hearts's eyes gleamed as they stared down at him. "Where is the Queen? Ah, Her Majesty—always lured with trouble. Or perhaps danger is allured with you."

One glance behind him confirmed to Nicholas Hatter that the Queen was behind him. And she had been clinging to his shirt.

An entirely odd gesture.

It was far too unnatural, as if she had wanted to stop him from endangering himself?

What exactly was happening right now? Was the Knight completely unaware until this time and Her Majesty had gone off on her own? Curioser and curioser. Shaking his head, he mustered a grin and waved a hand, "There is no need to return the hat, but I am aware that you are here to collect Her Majesty."

"I am not some object to be retrieved." She retorted with as much indignance in her tone, prying fingers finally loosened her hold on his shirt.

And to his surprise, it hadn't exactly been an unpleasant one. But it was a fleeting moment as the Queen approached Her Knight. And now he felt his shirt's collar was a little too tight at the moment. He tugged on it as the woman's gaze fleeted back to him.

"You have my gratitude, Sir Hatter...I will pay my dues in good time, but for now I must head back to the castle. Farewell."