Chapter Twenty-Two: A Knight's Word

Rosalyn Lockhart narrowed her eyes at the Knight as he led her through the main road. She had a thing or two to say, but she deliberately held her tongue.

There was no use adding flames to fire.

It was simply impeccable! The man had the most perfect timing; she had been so sure that she would have befriended not only the Hatter but his other companions included—if he hadn't interrupted at the most crucial time.

Once they were near the castle walls, she tugged her hand away from his grip and frowned, "You don't have the authority to restrict my movements, Knight."

"I certainly don't have that authority but if the King hears word of what occurred today, then I cannot help you if he decides to never let you leave from his sight." He answered and returned with a frown of his own.

That implication was... she sighed and strolled past him, "Then thank you very much for bringing me back, but know that you've disturbed a very important matter I had to attend to."

"Making friends?"

She froze in her tracks but then kept moving, "And where did you hear that from?" She bustled along without much of a problem and kept her face blank. Had that girl no idea of secrecy? Then again, she cast one look back at her Knight—the man could extract the information through either terror or charm. Sword or seduction.

Rosalyn clicked her tongue at that thought, Mary Ann wouldn't fall for this man... and neither would he with them? That was another thing for her to worry about, didn't she?

"Who else but the young cook who makes you the tarts." He chuckled, his eyes were already much kinder.

He shifted moods almost more than she did.

"Her name is Mary Ann." She chimed in as she went past the guards and speaking of which. She could at least eat her vexation away. And also make sure that a certain someone hadn't fallen prey to the Knight.

The man behind her chuckled, "And you even know her name, Your Majesty, you've truly changed."

She squeezed her eyes shut for a moment, change? She placed a hand over her face and sighed. People left and right were telling her that. Her Knight, His Majesty and even Lady Catherine had grown worried during their tea. And yet the very first person to do so wasn't even around. The man at that tea party had expected she would be more vengeful... and she was indeed mad but also tired.

"...Forgive me for being too forward, Your Majesty."

Placing her hand down, she turned towards the Knight and rested a hand on her hip. "I may have changed, but if anything—that's not because I've grown any weaker. Instead, you should be more wary for my silence is more nerve-wracking than my outbursts."

His gaze softened for a moment before he smiled and bowed, "I have never thought of you as weak, Your Majesty." He looked up, a solemn look on his face, "Whatever the case maybe, whether you decide to make friends or enemies, know that I will always be at your side, Rosalyn."

She watched the gesture, heard his words and knew that he had kept his word until the end indeed.

Except for that beheading situation.

Rosalyn Lockhart still hadn't exactly gotten over that. Actually she wanted to grab the man by his collar and ask him what went through his mind to think that had been a good idea!

Instead she sighed and crossed her arms, "As long as you ask for my permission and order. Don't go making sudden decisions for yourself." Don't suddenly decide that he can lop of her head!

"Her Majesty truly strikes for a hard bargain, please do recall that I still need to think for myself." He ran his fingers through his hair, his gaze locking on hers as they gleamed in mischief. His tone went velvety and husky all at the same time, "Unless you are asking for my complete obedience in your chambers—which I already do."

Rosalyn Lockhart bit on her lip, memories flitted through her mind as she felt her cheeks heat up. She looked around the hall and found herself relieved that there were no person in sight. And so she decided to give him one of her glares that lasted for but a brief second before finally rolling her eyes, "These conversation are best left where they happen."

"My apologies, Your Majesty. But I believe I made my point."

She shrugged, "I suppose you did and I guess it would be no good to have you completely heeding me word for word." Who knew what nonsense she could spout on some occasions, she trusted that the man would point them out. "Now leave me be, I'm no longer leaving the castle so I think you can stop following me like some dog."

"You truly wound my heart," Sir Julius Ginellevé clutched his chest and laughed, "Would you perchance at least tell me where you plan to go? You've already decided to find other people to be your friend so I should at least know that you are safe, Your Majesty."

So the man here really did think of himself as her friend. Which should have made sense, but she had been too used to seeing him as her Knight—Someone she had power over.

Well in matters of power, she did have the entire domain under her sovereignty so surely it shouldn't be measured that way. Only the King of Hearts and other Royals would be her possible friends if she decided with that.

And she had no interest in them.

Rosalyn Lockhart scratched her cheek, deciding to tell the truth on this matter. "I plan to visit the kitchen once again, I'm a bit famished. I need some tarts and tea."

"You never...Her Majesty never grows tired of them doesn't she?" Sir Julius Ginellevé remarked, the corner of his eyes crinkling.

She huffed and walked past him, "If you have the nerve to act like that, Gine. I'm not sharing!"

"Your Majesty, do let me taste test them first!" The sound of Knight's footsteps trailed after hers.