29. Back Home

NOTE: And finally I am back people. The last month has been pretty hard but finally it is all over and here I am completing my favourite story. Hope you enjoy. Before reading further just take a recap of all the chapters once. Read, Like and Share.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pandavs along with Duryodhan and Kunti were en-route to Hastinapur.

"Come on! Spit it out", Duryodhan said.

"I didn't say anything", Arjun said.

"I know. I can see you want to ask something"

"Fine! How did you come there in time?"

"Nah it had nothing to do with me. I wanted to have a good nights sleep. But Angaraj started getting restless in the middle of the night. So here we are"

"Woow", Arjun took a breath.

"Be happy that he is looking out for you", Duryodhan muttered.

"Someone's jealous", Nakul whispered.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Words travel fast. True to that quote, all the people in Hastinapur were waiting anxiously.

"You alright son?", Vidhur was the first one to get to them.

"Yeah", Bheem replied.

Gandhari rushed in to help Kunti who was still shaken up from the incident. Arjun was rushed to check his leg out.

"So what happened?", Maharaj asked once they were in the courtroom. Nobody said anything.

"The palace burst into flames all of a sudden in the middle of the night. All of them were almost out when Angaraj and I came to their rescue. Arjun got stuck under a pillar. Angaraj then went inside the burning palace and pulled him out", Duryodhan said when he noticed the Pandavs were in no condition to speak, "No one has any idea how the palace started burning", he added.

"Looks like the fire was planned", Vidhur said, "Anyone has any idea who it might be?", he asked. No one said anything again.

"Duryodhan Do you know?", Vidhur asked again.

"Come on how will I know?", Duryodhan asked.

"Are you accusing my son in law, Mahamantri Vidhur?", Shakuni asked.

"No I am not. I just asked a question to which I didn't get the answer yet", Vidhur said calmly.

Before Duryodhan could answer Shakuni spoke up. "Oh my God! How can you do this? My son in law has nothing to do with it. He had no need to go out there in the middle of the night and yet he went in there to save these helpless people and yet here we are in the Royal court where my highness is letting his minister accuse his own son for murder. Oh my God!", Shakuni ranted adding every spice he could get to the situation.

"Gandharaj no one is blaming anyone. Definitely not Duryodhan. We are happy that he was a hero today. I am just asking for his opinions", Vidhur said.

"Oh really? So you are telling me you had not even a small hint of doubt when you asked him for his 'OPINIONS' on this matter?", Shakuni asked.

Vidhur was silent.

"Ha I knew it", Shakuni said. He then turned to Duryodhan, "I believe you Duryodhan! I believe you no matter what"

"Gandharraj- ", Yudhister started.

"Don't you speak a word. You don't deserve a brother like Duryodhan", Shakuni said.

"No wait. What I meant to say was-"

"Stop it Prince Yudhister. Enough of humiliating my son here"

"No- just listen to me"

"Everybody shut up", boomed Karn's voice.

Everyone looked at him. "These are the people responsible for burning down the palace", he said as the soldiers brought in a few people in chains who looked like farmers.

"Them?", Shakuni rushed to them, "What proof do you have?"

"With all due respect Gandharraj, this is Hastinapur not Gandhar. The judge & jury here are Maharaj and Mahamantri Vidhur and NOT you. So I request you to be a guest and take a seat", Karn said in his authoritative voice.

"How dare you- ", Shakuni muttered.

"Angaraj Karn! Do you know what happened?", Maharaj asked.

"Ofcourse yes Maharaj! These are the people who set the palace on fire", Karn said.

"Then why are they here still alive?", Shakuni asked.

Karn ignored him and addressed the emperor, "You should hear their side of the story", he said as he untied one of the men from the group.

"Vanakkam your majesty! We are the native descendents of varnavrat. We have lived there for generations. And farming is our occupation. It is our livelihood. One day we got a notice stating that our land has been seized for building the palace completely out of the blue. They took all of our agricultural land. First we had some tough agricultural rules on to whom we should sell our goods to. When we opposed that rule, the taxes were increased and now finally this. We were promised land somewhere in return but that didn't happen. We waited for a long time but that was of no use. It took us a while and a lot of bribes to know that we have been betrayed. We couldn't take it anymore. So we made plans to burn down the palace before its inauguration. We thought that the palace was empty. We had no idea Rajamata and the Princes arrived early. It was a grave mistake. We were trying to save our lives but we didn't mean to put their lives in danger", explained the elderly man. "We are so sorry Maharaj. We are so sorry Rajamaata. We are so sorry Princes. We will accept your punishment", he added.

"Maharaj! I was so in rage that I wanted to kill the ones responsible for the fire on sight. But when I heard the reason I couldn't do it. These people lost their lives, land and identity because of that palace which was approved by you. They are the victims Maharaj", Karn spoke up.

"Mahamantri Vidhur! When did we become savage thieves? How did this happen?", Maharaj asked disappointed.

"Purochan said those were empty useless land. I didn't know it was agricultural land", Vidhur said.

"You were supposed to know everything", Maharaj hissed, "Just because the place is far away from us, does not mean we can leave them without oversight. Remove their cuffs, they are free to go. Find the fault in the system and rectify it mahamantri", Maharaj ordered. Mahamantri agreed.

"Thank you so much Maharaj! Long live Maharaj! Long live Angaraj! Long live Maharaj! Long live Angaraj!", the people chanted. Karn gave Shakuni a slight smirk.

"The court is dismissed"

"Just when I thought we could be brothers again", Duryodhan muttered and stormed out of the courtroom in rage. 'Damnit! What happened now?', Karn thought and followed his angry friend. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

NOTE: Well that happened. Good news is The boys are back home safely but the bad news is now Duryodhan is angry. Like VERY angry. So what is gonna happen? Is the gap gonna expand more? Stay tuned to find out. Dont forget to upvote. Read, Like and Share with your friends. Thanks a lot for your support.