22. The Reward

The sun had set. Karn was preparing to leave the palace when a guard informed him that he was summoned by Maharaj.

'Oh God! What happened?', Karn thought as he went on to see Maharaj who was pacing back and forth.

"You wanted to see me Maharaj?", Karn asked nervously.

"Angaraj Karn! Yes! I want answer to a question that is bugging me so much", Maharaj said.

"Yeah Whatever it is I will answer", Karn said.

"Who spiked Duryodhan's drink?", Maharaj asked.

"Well I have my doubts. But I am not sure", Karn said a bit taken aback thinking, 'How did he find out about the drink?'

"Who do you have in mind?", Maharaj asked.

"I don't know if you will believe this but I doubt Gandharraj", Karn said.

"What? Him?", Maharaj started laughing, "Come on Karn, he loves Duryodhan. Why would he do that? He should be the last person for you to suspect. He wont do such a thing to him", Maharaj said.

'Yeah he won't do such a thing to Duryodhan but he will do it to me. After all it was my juice that mithr drank and nothing else. Dammit I cannot accuse Shakuni without proof coz no one here would believe me', Karn thought.

"Anyways I am really proud of you Angaraj. This feast could have gone worse in a lot of ways. I am glad you pulled it off", Maharaj said patting his back clearly changing the topic.

"What did you think of my friend? He could do anything", Duryodhan said proudly as he entered followed by the other princes.

"I am also proud of all of you", Maharaj said looking at the six princes, "You guys make a great team", he added making them smile in happiness.

"Thanks a lot Maharaj. It was our duty", Yudhister spoke for all of them, "But Angaraj Karn deserves special recognition", he added.

"Yes you are right", Duryodhan supported.

"Ok Angaraj! Tell me what do you want as a reward?", Maharaj asked.

"Uh no Maharaj! Doing our duties does not require rewards", Karn said.

"Uh no no I want to give you something. Just tell me one wish", Maharaj asked.

"Go on mithr! Ask for anything", Duryodhan said.

"Well if I should ask. I ask for your presence in my wife's baby shower function", Karn said.

"What kind of a wish is this?", Maharani Gandhari came in along with Kunti, "It is our duty Putr. We look up to as our son. How can we not come? You just had to invite us", she said.

Kunti looked at Karn with expectant eyes.

"Fine I invite you all to my wife's baby shower at my house tomorrow", Karn said folding his hands in front of them.

Kunti took his hands in hers and replied, "I promise all of us will be present"

Karn bent down and touched her feet.

"Ayushmaan Bhava"

Karn was very happy and then he decided to have some fun. He looked at Arjun and said, "If anyone is not willing to come it's fine. No compulsion"

Arjun had his 'what-did-i-do-?-I-didn't-do-anything' face on. He was about to say something but Duryodhan beat him to it, "Who said someone is not willing? I am in, the parents are in, the pandavs are in. So yes, we all will be present", he spoke for all.