Chapter 16 | A scaly Adventure I

Barren is the most fitting word to describe this island

Barren is the most fitting word to describe this island. The little vegetation is of a sad green or brown. Due to a constant breeze howling around the jagged cliffs, dust and earth are everywhere in the crew's clothes, hair, and eyes. It's late afternoon and the six friends stand in front of a beast of easily twenty feet length. Its scales shimmer in the last rays of the sun. Wasn't it for the maw lined with sharp teeth and two columns of smoke rising from the creature's snout, it would look marvellous. A dragon, Luna sighs, off all beasts. It was quite the day they had. As the Dawn Treader reached this new land, Caspian and Drinian decided to split up the crew. The captain should take some men and search for fresh food and water while the kings, the queen, the cousin, and the Crown Shield would explore the island. Reepicheep went with Drinian – they found little. Eustace disappeared. The result of his adventure is standing in front of them right now, apparently. The dragon's eyes are from the same light blue as the boy's. They are trained to the ground as the winged creature taps from one claw to the other. It's quiet, only the murmur of the sea is heard and the scratching of the dragon's, well, Eustace's claws on stone.

» Aunt Alberta won't be pleased, « Edmund breaks the silence. Lucy lifts her head, casting her brother a dissatisfied glance. She sets to nudge him but stops as she realizes he didn't mean it as a joke. The King of Old watches his cousin's new form. Head tilted to the side, shoulders raised, and his stance guarded. He spoke less than usual after he scolded a non-present Eustace for running off as they discovered he wasn't with the other group either. The crew went out to search for the boy. At first, they found a dead dragon up in the mountains by a lake. In a nearby cave laid a treasure they didn't dare touch. Such riches are potentially dangerous, cursed. Later they stumbled upon a golden dragon. He passed over them as they made their way to the boats. His attempt to grab Caspian failed – the king ducked in time – but the creature caught Edmund. Luna isn't sure where they went. The King of Old remained quiet ever since, only telling the others one thing: Eustace is the dragon. Lucy, the good heart, didn't scold her cousin for running off. She helped him get rid of a golden bangle which turned out to wear Lord Octesian's blazon.

» Is there any way to turn him back? « Lucy asks. The Crown Shield wonders if the Kings and Queens of Old ever came across a similar creature. Caspian exchanges a look with Drinian before shaking his head,

» Not that I know of. «

» If you sleep on a cursed dragon's treasure, the curse passes on to you, « Rhince has his hands in his pockets. Eustace growls lowly, lifting his eyes. Everyone falls silent again.

» We can't leave him here, « Lucy determines.

» We can't take him with us on the Dawn Treader either, « Drinian tells her. The captain wears his usual scowl but something in his demeanour tells Luna he feels for the blond boy. He didn't know better, after all.