Chapter 49 | The last Evening

The warrior takes a deep breath, releasing the pressure and stress of the heated court session in a long huff

The warrior takes a deep breath, releasing the pressure and stress of the heated court session in a long huff. As soon as the gong marked the break, Luna strode out of the room and through the halls. Were they home in Cair Paravel, her feet would carry her to the training grounds to unleash her fury on an unsuspecting straw-dummy. Here, she must make do with fresh air. The Crown Shield didn't expect to reach a beautiful garden area. Their hosts spoke of the Water Gardens on the palace grounds, but she didn't think them to be this impressive and well-maintained after the slaver's long reign. Countless rivulets, fountains and pools divide the lush grass and hedges. Paths of gravel - nearly too narrow for two people walking next to each other - invite visitors to stroll through the park. Benches and arbours encourage to linger. Luna does just that - her strides slow with every passing minute and an almost relieved smile lifts the corners of her lips.

» Ah, finally. « The Crown Shield whirls around, fingers gripping the hilt of her sword while her eyes dart over the low hedges, past the tree trunks, over the paths until they settle on a nearby bench. A man leans on a staff, back bent from his years of life. His white hair contrasts with the dark green of the low hanging branches of a gorse tree. Luna forces her muscles to relax,

» Pardon, sir? « He laughs, beckoning her closer,

» I'm no sir. Come, sit with an old man, soldieress. « How does he know she is a soldier? His hazel eyes glimmer in the rays of sunlight filtering through the leaves. As if he read her mind, he laughs again - it is a deep baritone, warm and cosy like a log fire in winter -

» 'Twas quite the hearing, I'd say. You gave those high noses a run for their money. « Luna snorts, taking a seat next to him. She didn't notice the white-haired in the crowd, but it feels good to have someone agreeing with her actions. The man watches her, his head bobbing up and down lightly while he hums to himself.

» If I may ask, « Luna smiles politely,

» What did you mean before? «

» Huh? Oh, that, « the older grins lopsidedly. He hums again. For a few moments he doesn't say anything, and the warrior considers repeating her question. There, the man points to his lips, describing a circle with his index finger,

» Your smile, miss. Looked like three days o' rain, then lighted up like the sunrise. « Understanding what he means, Luna's lips form a small 'o' before said smile returns.

» There ya go. «

They fall into a comfortable silence. The Crown Shield's thoughts stray far from these nobles and their behaviour towards 'lesser folk'. She thinks of the Dawn Treader's first landing on the Lone Islands. Since then, Lord Bern did so well, transforming the nation. However, Luna ponders, Pug is still out there. Caspian said, the council hasn't taken any action - apart from warning the other islands by sending out letters. She shakes her head. Shouldn't they be after that slaver as soon as they get the slightest whiff of his whereabouts? Surely, Reep and she would be off instantly. They often did go on such missions over the past years. Now, these days of fellowship are over. A quiet sigh escapes her lips. Maybe hunting down Pug should be the first thing after determining her replacement as Crown Shield; Reep will be with her in spirit always. Before falling deeper into reminiscence, Luna's thoughts move on to the day of the market. Edmund, Lucy, and Eustace were with them then. The warrior met a fellow sailor, saw the green mist for the first time, and was sold to a one-eyed man. What may have happened to him? She could ask the man next to her.