Chapter 58 | Call

The next few days drag on

The next few days drag on. For the visitors to the still sleeping Crown Shield, at least. Though, Luna's mind strengthens by the hour, growing a strange awareness of her surroundings and of the people talking to her - despite a few healers thinking it doesn't make a difference to the patient. Fana, however, and Novice Tary - who holds herself to the head healer here – continue to encourage the visitors to pay these "naysayers" no mind, as Fana words it. Thus, Orion once again sits by his mentor's side, leaning as close as he dares to her ear.

» We can't be sure, but I don't like it, « the young Shadow toys with the hem of his jacket. They are alone right now, still he doesn't dare to speak in detail of the reports from the division that continue to roll in. He is not in charge, so despite his efforts, he does not learn of it all. He does know that the Shadows listen closely around when they are not on duty. More strange sightings are reported, and Orion is growing suspicious. Something is underfoot, something shady. The raven-haired tried to speak to the Council, though they are adamant these "stirrings" are merely caused by the king's return and the court adjusting. Unknown to him, Luna huffs inwardly. They have grown comfortable, too trusting of the new order in Narnia.

» If only Glenstorm was still in command, « and so she learns of her old friend's injury which forced him to step down as General of the Narnian forces. She cannot imagine the army and the guards functioning properly without the centaur and herself. Then again, a lot could have changed this year – not that there haven't been any suitable leaders around before. It just...leaves a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach.

» Could really use your advice and these lords- « Orion cuts off his whispers as the door is opened.

Elrik's grin grows weaker every time he steps into this chamber, seeing his friend still unmoving, condition unchanged – or worse, if he trusts the healers. Jon and Fana ordered that the novice from the Seven Isles do exercises with the warrior every few hours now. Careful to not strain the healing wound, but the muscles must be moved, or they will recede and leave Luna weaker than she already is. Elrik doesn't pretend he understands much of the art of healing, this, however, makes sense.

At the sight of the boy, the sailor smiles gently,

» You two ready for another story? « Of course, he only expects an answer from one person. He barely receives that – no more than a small nod from a dark-haired head.

*

Caspian has his hands behind his back, staring at the sand drizzling over his boots with every step. It has become a regular route for the king, to walk along the beach at the foothills of Cair Paravel's grand gardens. Here, the salty air tickles his nostrils, more prominent than in and around the palace itself. Though, he doesn't come here for pleasure – not these days. How could he, with his heart laying in that wretched chamber, fighting for her life? Caspian is aware that his presence is little more than a shell, walking not quite in the real world with his thoughts entirely occupied. Heavens, if he can find sleep, he dreams about Luna waking up. How disheartening the end of these mares is as his hopes are shattered all over again.