Chapter 3 | Talks and Teasing

On the next morning after breakfast, Reepicheep and Luna sit outside on the front deck as usual

On the next morning after breakfast, Reepicheep and Luna sit outside on the front deck as usual. Lucy joins them with sewing utensils in hand to stich the clothes Luna gave her a little tighter as her figure is less tall and more fragile than the warrior's. Not long after, the kings step to the merry party as well. They are animatedly talking about the Dawn Treader and Narnia's rebuilt navy. Eustace is nowhere in sight. He showed up for breakfast but disappeared soon after, grabbing some bread and fruit with the excuse of not feeling well. After he left, Lucy told the friends that she worries about him. Edmund just sighed at that.

» You know how he is, « the King of Old said,

» The more we try to be nice to him, the more miserable he'll be. « Caspian had his fair share of complaints from Eustace already. At least, the boy accepted that Caspian as king holds the most power on this ship and his word goes. Theoretically, the captain would be second in command but now the King and Queen of Narnia's Golden Age fill these ranks. These hierarchies are unnecessary most of the time, though.

» Now, Drinian said we'll reach the Lone Islands soon, « Edmund speaks up, leaning against the railing next to his sister,

» But where are we headed then? What are we here for if there's no trouble in Narnia? « Good question. However, everyone is happy to have them. There is a saying that, once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia. As far as Luna knows, every queen and king of Narnia is fondly remembered, always holding a place in the Narnians' hearts.

» Well, that's a rather long story, « Caspian clears his throat. He stands next to Edmund, arms crossed in front of his chest.

» You may remember the oath I swore to Aslan on my coronation day, « he begins,

» To find seven friends of my father, lords of Telmar, who were sent to explore the unknown Eastern Seas beyond the Lone Islands by my uncle Miraz. « His eyes wander over the deck and come to gaze out at the water. A thin veil of haze lays over its surface this morning which seems to swallow some of the early light.

» I swore to sail east for a year and a day to find them or to learn of their deaths and avenge them, if I can, « Caspian continues. He seems absent, as if reliving a memory. Luna remembers said oath well. It was right after the coronation, back at Miraz' castle, that the young king sought out Aslan to talk about his father and the authority now given to him. At the time, Caspian was still unsure about himself being a leader. Luna didn't participate in their talk, she was to keep watch over the king, out of earshot, Edmund keeping her company. As Caspian got down to one knee, Aslan called her over to bear witness to the young king's oath.

» However, Reep hopes to find something else on our journey, « a smile flickers over Caspian's face as he turns to the mouse. He shall speak for himself. Reepicheep takes the opportunity with an appreciative nod in the king's direction. He rises from his spot to stand on the railing.