Chapter 23 | Heather Hill

The new island grows closer and closer

The new island grows closer and closer. Turns out, it is no such bleak patch of earth as the Dragon Island was. Gentle, lush hills greet the Dawn Treader from afar. Soon, the crew can make out the lack of trees. Two small brooks deliver their water into the bay where the ship anchors. The larger part of the crew goes ashore while the rest stays on deck. Never leave a ship unguarded, Drinian always says as being safe is better than being sorry.

As they reach the shore in the longboats, Caspian divides the men in two groups. The smaller one is to scout the island while the other searches for fresh water and food. It is always a benefit to stock up on supplies whenever an opportunity presents itself. Drinian leads the scouts, Tavros the suppliers - Rynelf remained on the Dawn Treader. Usually, the sailor loves to go ashore and explore whatever land there is. This time, Drinian ordered him to stay back, maybe it's payback as the ship's first mate laughed at the captain after Edmund's prank. However the case, the decision was final and Rynelf had to comply. He hopes they will be here for a day or two, so he can stretch his legs on land later.

The king himself and his friends will explore the new surroundings on their own. Ed and Reep are most excited to do so and lead the small group, dragging Eustace along. The boy looks annoyed, but deep down he just doesn't want to admit this journey appeals to him more and more. Lucy giggles at her cousin's expression as she follows, leaving Caspian and Luna for backmarkers. The two don't really mind, though, they are busy looking around. Cas takes it all in while his Crown Shield watches attentively for anything out of place, or too much in place for that matter. In short: She expects possible danger anywhere, even in a seemingly peaceful place like this. Furthermore, she doesn't really know what to say after the last conversation they had. The atmosphere between them changed again to a more tense and awkward one. Luna can't yet decide what kind of awkwardness it is. The last hours were a whirlwind of preparations for the upcoming shore leave and hardly a time for thinking about her tricky relationship with the King of Narnia which seems to be stuck in a strange up and down lately. She certainly hopes to have time to clear her head and sort her feelings soon, this spiralling needs to be put an end to or it could distract her in moments where her mind must stay sharp.

While looking around, Caspian's eyes return to his companion now and then. He wants to say something,anything, but his mind seems blank whenever he prepares to open his mouth. Unlike Luna, he started to realize why their relationship spirals from joking and laughing to being not on speaking terms at all in matters of minutes sometimes. Well, maybe realize is the wrong term. He started to accept it. There shouldn't be a doubt Luna took note of her feelings towards her king, be they new or still there, but Cas isn't sure she feels the same at all. Of course, he hopes so. There are little details hinting at it, he thinks. For example, the light blush coating her cheeks whenever they touch. The young king can't possibly know she feels the exact same tingling as him whenever that happens. Yet, his thoughts are in need of a thorough sorting just as Luna's are, only in another way. While she must figure things out first, he must decide which way to proceed on, if at all. It is quite a riddle the two have gotten themselves tangled up in.