Chapter X | Tying loose ends

What is 'Chapter X'?

This chapter aims at bringing you little details which were cut from the final version of the story, or just didn't find the right place to fit in.

What did the others smell as Lucy opened the healing cordial and why?

Lucy smelled the apple orchard she and her siblings planted back in the Golden Era. As Caspian rebuilt Cair Paravel, the orchard was tended to and brought back to its former glory. Luna and she talk one night, and Lucy tells her friend that she hopes to see Cair Paravel again.

Reep smelled something sweet as chocolate paired with fresh hay. The chocolate because it was the first 'human' treat he and his siblings tasted. Later, as he was accoladed and spent a lot of time in the castle, it became a habit for Luna and him to sneak into the kitchen when they finished work late and prepare hot chocolate together. The occasions varied, though. The staff knew of this and reserved a shelf in one cupboard for supplies – chocolate powder, nice mugs, and spoons.

Edmund smelled cinnamon because he loves Christmas, and his heart's wish is to be gifted something equally special and unique as his siblings. He will come to realize that he is gifted a lot.

For Eustace the vial evaporated a smell like opening a new book for the first time, also of fresh ink and the cookies the Pevensie's mother bakes around Christmas – he has no siblings and barley any friends at this point, so he secretly envies the bond of the four siblings and their friendships. After his first Narnian adventure it would also contain a waft of a gentle sea breeze, even though he is still afraid of the deep oceans and heights.

Caspian smelled candied apples as he always loved that treat – as a kid his aunt used to give it to him. And fresh grass, forest, and damp leaves as a reminder of Luna and his secret clearing.

Why the different symbols at the beginning of each chapter?

They symbolize Luna's journey from a common girl without parents, a maidservant, and a warrior to a lover and a queen. The Wave (~) stands not only for the voyage on the Dawn Treader, but for the stormy waters Caspian and Luna had to weave through. The Flower (*) is a symbol for the blossoming love between the two, a bud needs time to blossom and fully bloom. It will change once again.

Why does Caspian call Luna "dove"?

While it apparently was a common pet name in medieval times, a dove is also a symbol for peace. Luna brings peace to the king's heart – remember their trademark move, putting their foreheads together. This is not only a romantic gesture, they also did it in time of friendship, distress, and war. Further, in the Bible, a dove finds the first land after the Great Flood and delivers an olive branch to Noah. So, the bird brings a sign of a new home – I take this as an analogy for Luna and Caspian as she is his home. Plus, doves apparently only have one partner for life – Luna always was and will be his.

Why does Luna call Caspian her "heart"?

Yes, it is a common pet name between lovers. Yet think of Luna's character. She is a warrior through and through, a trained protector. As such she knows the most vital areas in the human anatomy. To her, "my heart" isn't only a cute name for her beloved, it displays her weak spot. Hurting him will also hurt her, front and centre.

She also calls Caspian her "king" because, of course, he is just that. The King of Narnia. But, do you remember the chess analogy? "A queen must protect her king." (Chapter 48 | The last Evening). It means that she will continue to be his protector, his shield, even if she doesn't hold the title of Crown Shield any longer.

to be continued...*

*You have questions? Ask them here -->