Chapter 51 | Tricky Peace

A whirlwind, that's what the last events were

A whirlwind, that's what the last events were. Their stay on the Lone Islands with its highs and lows, then the engagement rushing in after they just agreed to take it slow. Now, peace settles over them as everyone falls back into old routines. Yet, joyous anticipation grows day by day. The crew of the Dawn Treader waved goodbye to the Lone Islands and the sailors who left them there about three days prior. Though part of their hearts are heavy, they look onward with bright faces. Home, they are finally making for the familiar shores of Narnia. Everyone talks about what to do as soon as they return. Those who are married miss their partners, many long to see their families and friends. Others wish to see the soft lands and forests. Telmarines befriended Old Narnians and promised to show each other their perspective of the country. Tingel says he looks forward to visiting his family's forges. He is among those who want to change career. They had an adventure, now they wish for a calmer life, a family. King Caspian assures everyone a spot in court as trusted friends. Whoever whishes so will receive land to farm. These discussions make them all dreamy.

Luna and Caspian are quite dreamy as well. Since setting sail, they are often hand in hand. They don't mind the crew seeing them like this anymore. After spending over a year in close confinements some knew already. They are, after all, something like family now. Drinian's features soften as he spots the king and the lassie like this from his place at the wheel. The rest of the crew is working, though not without glances spared the couple's way. Smiles and smirks are shared between many sailors, mumbles of bets to pay or receive carried away by the wind. No one expects the turn of events that, yet again, disrupts their peace and changes things quite drastically.

*

The sun blinds her as she frantically blinks against the bright light. Additionally, acrid smoke makes her eyes teary as the Crown Shield tries to get an overview of the decks. Sailors hurry to their stations – oars or armory – coughing and ducking to avoid the first arrows splicing the air.

» Cut the hook-ropes! « Tavros' voice seems calm despite the circumstances, ringing through the confusion of the surprise attack. Luna stumbles over one of the smoke balls that were shot onto the Dawn Treader to veil the crew's view. Quickly, she draws her long dagger, impaling the palm-sized ball and flicking it over the railing. Ivelle, her sword would be of more use, but she will have to make do. Coughing, she makes for the port side where large grappling hooks claw into the Dawn Treader's railing. The wood splinters where metal meets its surface, even more so as the ropes are loaded with additional weight. Luna grips her weapon tightly, starting to hack away at the first rope she finds – joining the sailors who are already at it. After three strikes the rope finally gives in. Snap. It detaches from the hook and is flung downwards. Luna watches as the pirate who just tried to set over falls with it and disappears below the hull of the ship closing in. Only now she starts to process what is happening – simultaneously cursing herself for becoming slow, for not being on alert. Instead, she allowed herself to be lulled in by dreams and stories, by her love for Caspian, by their anticipation to reach home again. Pirates. The other ship hid in the shadows of the rocky islands they spotted a few days ago. Smoke balls were sent over before anyone could even give a warning call. Half the crew was asleep this early in the morning, only now stumbling around to defend their ship and king. Caspian! Luna whirls around, searching for her beloved. As she rose from her hammock earlier, she let him sleep. She can't spot him anywhere but finds Drinian whose figure towers by the stairs to the quarter deck. He is yelling orders while taking two steps at once. There, the Dawn Treader jerks sideways, wood meets wood as the other ship pulls her in.