chapter 1- the beginning

a month and a half ago, if you were to tell me that my summer would turn out the way it did, i would have probably laughed in your face...

before we start that let me tell you a little bit about me, my names Dylan Marina, i have long black hair that reaches just above my hip bone and sharp green eyes. i have two rows of perfectly straight white teeth due to the annoying braces i had to endure during 7th and 8th grade. i'm about 5'7 and am always wearing a pair of converses.

I surf ALL the time. I have always loved the ocean and surfing, it's like I have a one-track mind. Surfing consumed me, from the very first wave i ever rode i was utterly in love with it. My board is practically attached to me at all times, if i'm ever mad or sad or just need to escape things. 100 percent of the time you will find me at the beach out on the water riding any wave i can catch.

at the end of this summer ill be going into my junior year. i have an older brother named Charlie who just finished his freshman year in college and at the end of this summer will be going into his sophomore year. he is the best older brother i could ask for, he's my best friend who i know will never snitch. honestly he's bailed me out of jail more times than i could count.

now i know your probably wondering, 'so Dylan, tell me about this so called crazy summer you've had' but first to understand it all, we have to start at the very beginning.

it was the start of summer and i was super excited so get the hell out of that place people call school. i was ready to kick back and relax with my friends doing all the crazy shit we could all summer long.

we would spend our days carving up our own little pipe line down at Miami beach on our boards and flirting with cute tourists (hence why surfed at the pier).

we would spend the nights partying and causing all the trouble we could (probably getting arrested a few times along the way, which would result in Charlie having to drive all the way to the station to bail me out for at least the 20th time)

so naturally you could understand why i was so pissed when i got home from my last day at school and sat down with my parents only to find out we were moving to the outer banks, Kildare island to exact.

"what about the surf shop!" i ask my mom in an exasperated tone.

my mom owns a surf shop right off the beach and my dad does business in real estate.

"we've already bought a property down their to set up shop and we've already started sending the stock down there." my mother replied in an even and calm tone.

"this is an offer we just can't pass up. we're already just barely making the bills with funding Charlie's college expenses and the medical bills!" my dad exclaims, angry that i was arguing back.

"this will be a good opportunity or all of us, you'll get to see new places like you always wanted and hopefully we'll start making more money with the tourist economy down in the outer banks." my mom says while reaching across the table and grabbing a hold of my hand.

"fine." i say looking down sadly, ashamed i was acting selfish and yelling at them when they were only trying to keep my family afloat.

after our conversation i was told that i had one day to pack up my whole room and say goodbye while my parents handled everything else.

again, to say i was pissed, was a MAJOR understatement, even after the little heart to heart id had with my parents.

the one good thing that my parents had told me was that my brother was now only a 30 to 40 minute drive away. he had chosen an out of state college in North Carolina after they offered him an academic scholarship for all four years but just for tuition, not student housing or anything else, which my parents were still trying to pay for with the left-over money that didn't go to the medical bills.

i was so happy to be able to see him more often now. he had only visited once, which was during Christmas break since he had left. the trip was just to long and in the end cost to much.

after a evening full of packing, all my clothes were stuffed into one suitcase while my swim suites, wet suites, and waxes were all stuffed in another and everything else was placed in other selective boxes. after i was done dragging them down the stairs and throwing them into the UHAUL i walked over to the shed and grabbed my board. i had already slipped on a swimsuit i had left out while packing. as i tucked my surf board under my arm and started my venture across the street to the beach, i couldn't help but wonder what is was going to be like starting someplace new.

i stayed out, just floating in the waves for what felt like hours. after i rode a few just soaking up what felt like the last time i'd ever ride the waves here i decided it was time to head home to text all my friends to meet my at ricks coffee tomorrow at noon. i rode a wave in and hopped off my board tucking it under my arm once more and started the walk home.

when i got home i propped my board up in its normal spot leaning against the railing of the house, mentally reminding myself to ask mom if i could put it in the UHAUL so that it would be there as soon as we were.

it was pretty late so i quietly tiptoed in and shut the door behind me. i started heading to the bathroom to shower but then thought better of it so that i didn't wake my parents up. deciding to take one in the morning before heading to ricks i went to my room and changed into one of my brothers old t-shirts and a pair of my volley ball spandex i had left out while packing, i had also left out another bathing suit and outfit for tomorrow.

i quickly when to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and hair in hopes to lessen the knotting in the morning. after that i walked back down the hall and into my now empty room with only a mattress and a couple of blankets and pillows. i crawled into bed and instantly fell into a deep sleep thinking about all my friends that i'd have to leave behind and all the memories i'd hope to make this summer, all being washed down the drain.

oh how wrong id turn out to be...