chapter 8- the gun shots

A few seconds after the first gunshot ripped through the air, we all hit the deck, except John B who was trying to drive the boat as best we could while staying close to the ground.

The men in the boat behind us fired a couple more shots while I looked around the boat trying to find anything that would help us. My vision soon landed on the bunched-up casting net that laid in the back of the boat.

I looked around again and saw that Kie was already looking at me. she nudged her head in the direction of the casting net, so i knew that we had the same idea. Slowly getting up a make my way towards the back of the boat while Kie did the same, shoving Pope out of the way and crawling towards the back.

"DYLAN, DYLAN!" JJ said trying to pull me back down to the floor of the boat. "What the hell are you doing." he yelled at me while i pushed away from him. The gunshots were still ringing in the air, a new round about every 5 seconds.

Kie and I reached the back of the boat at about the same time. We both grabbed one side of the net and worked together to untangle it while dodging bullets. We were almost done when I felt a piercing pain in my side. I suppressed my scream, trying not alarm Kie as we finished untangling the net and threw it in the water.

The nets got stuck in the propeller of the boat behind us and one last shot rings through the air as we successfully get away from them. Everyone stands up and starts cheering, me included as i momentarily forget about my side. As i start to go walk over to Kie who had moved towards John B, I suddenly feel the pain.

I fall into the side of the boat as i let out a scream. Everyone turns to look at me and Kie is the first to start moving this time.

"HOLY SHIT DYLAN!" she screams rushing over to my side. She starts to lift up my, well JJ's, now bloody shirt to look at my side.

"Ok it's ok Dylan everything's gonna be fine your just probably gonna need a few, well probably more than that. you know what, let's just say a lot of stitches." she says while trying to give me a reassuring smile. "John B, go to the hospital." she says while turning to cradle my head in her lap.

"NO!" I quickly shout which makes everyone turn to me in confusion. "Just go home, Kie you'll just give me stitches there." I say with a tone of finality.

Everyone looks at me with a little skepticism as to not just take me to professional help but eventually they give in. We move slowly to the front of the boat to sit down, Kie is now sitting with my head in her lap while holding JJ's once clean shirt to the wound in hopes of slowing the bleeding while JJ sits further down with my feel propped up in his lap.

We finally arrive at the chateau where everybody jumps out onto the dock while JJ stays back and throws one of my arms over his head to use as a crutch.

"One hell of a deja vu moment don't you think." I say while laughing and turning to him. thinking about when i used him as a crutch the other day in the boneyard.

"You literally got shot and you're laughing about when you got beat up protecting John B?" he asks while laughing with me. "Your one hell of a girl Dylan." he says with turning his head to look down at me.

I smile up at him and i can't help the butterflies i feel in my stomach when i see him lean a little closer to me. We hear our friends laughing up at the shelter on the dock and break apart out awkward staring contest. We limp forward a little bit and met out friends on the floor of the dock.

"Wow Pope, that's a rare outburst of emotion." we hear John B say as we crowd around the bag.

"Okay. you guys are literally killing me with anticipation." Pope retorts. "Just open the bag, we almost died over this."

"Dylan was SHOT over this." Kie stresses, leaning over John B to get a better look at the bag.

John B opens the bag and pulls out another, opens that bag and pulls put a canister, opens the canister and dumps out a compass into his hand.

"Oh, wow guys, wow. We found a compass, that's just great." Pope says.

John B just sits there and continues to stare at the compass in his.

"Dude, what? It's not worth anything." JJ says from beside me. still supporting my weight with his arm wrapped around my waist.

John B stays silent for a minute before answering.

"This was my father's"