chapter 4- the introductions

the day after a hurricane it ALWAYS the worst. you spend the whole day with your parents moping around picking up broken branches and cleaning up the trash that's everywhere.

After we cleaned up our house, we decided to head to the surf shop to check on our stock and see if the building was ok.

My mom and i loading up into the car and drove the short distance to "the shack" with is the name of the surf shop.

as we pulled up and got out, i noticed that one of the front windows what broken. I had only assumed that it was just broken from the storm, that a loose branch had hit it and broken it. Well, i was wrong.

Someone had broken into the shop and stolen a couple of surfboards and other smaller items.

"Well, what do we do about that?" I ask mom after we had checked the rest of the inventory.

"We could go up to the coast guards' station and ask about insurance?" my mom says in a questioning tone.

"Ok yeah, that sounds good, I'll go in and talk to them so you can wait in the car." i tell her.

we walked out of the store and hopped in the car. we made the small drive up to the emergency tent that the coast guard had set up after the hurricane.

"Ok I'll be right back." i tell my mom, getting out of the car and walking up to the counter where a lady and man are fighting about some lost dog.

"Hello, our store was robbed!" i tried getting the counter guys attention.

I was just about to start another sentence when a boy around my age walked up beside me and started yelling at the man about some boat he had found.

ignoring him, i tried getting the man's attention again, now having to shout over the dog lady and the boat boy.

"You need to CALM DOWN!" the counter man finally turns to me and the boat boy.

"Oh suck it! ill calm down when i finally have the merchandise that was STOLEN when someone ROBBED my store!" i screamed back at him.

the boy beside me started laughing and i turned to glare at him. he does the same and when i see his face i immediately recognize who it is. it's the tan boy from the surge.

"well, well, well what do we have here." he chuckles out when he sees its me.

"you're shitting me, what are you going here, stalking me?" i ask teasingly with a small smirk as i watch his face flush, obviously caught off guard by my bold accusation.

"oh no no i'm here with my friends, we-" he was once again cut off but this time by someone clapping a hand down on this shoulder.

"yo John B we should just go by ourselves to check it out." the guy behind him says, the boy finally steps up beside the tan boy, whose name i guess is John B.

the first thing i think when i see him is 'holy shit'. he's about 5'11 with shaggy dirty blonde hair and bright blue eyes. When he finally notices me standing there, he looks me up and down checking me out, and then smirks.

"who's the touron?" he asks John B.

"This is the girl pope and I told y'all about, the one who surfed the surge with us." John B told the blonde boy.

"Come on," John B says while slinging an arm over my shoulder, guiding me out of the tent. "Popes been talking about you nonstop, can't wait to meet you again and finally learn your name." John B tells me.

"Sorry to interrupt but who's pope?" i ask.

"oh popes the other one who was surfing with me." he tells me. "Here let me introduce you to the whole crew!" he tells me excitedly as we exit the tent in front of the dark-skinned boy, who i guess its pope, and a tanned girl a little behind him.

"hey! it's the surfer girl!" pope exclaims happy to see me again.

"hey..... pope?" i ask in a questioning tone to see if i got his name right. he simply nods, telling me my assumptions were right.

the tanned skin girl shoves him away and holds her hand out to me. "hey i'm Kiara but my friends call me Kie!" She says while shaking my hand and smiling at me.

"Last but not least," John B says while turning me around with his arm still around my shoulder. "This is JJ." He tells me.

"Ohhhh so this is the guy I'm a better surfer than?" I ask jokingly after remembering part of yesterday's conversation.

"Uh as if you could be." The blonde boy, JJ smirks at me again.

"Um actually yeah she most definitely is!" Pope chimes in.

I just stand there laughing at the mortified face the blonde boy is now wearing.

"Oh come on blondie, have a little more faith in me!" I say, playing be offended.

"Well anyways, what's your name!" Kie asks me with a smile.

"Oh right sorry, I'm-" I'm cut off by my phone ringing. I fish it out of my pocket, confused as to how I'm getting a call with no service but quickly disregard my confusion when i see that its Jason calling.

"Oh I'm sorry i really have to take this but I'll see y'all around?" I ask, hoping they'll say yes and that maybe this summer won't be a total bust.

"Yeah yeah that sounds good!" Pope tells me with a smile.

John B's arm was still thrown over my should but now he was looking at my phone screen.

"Wait who's Jason?" He asks.

"He's nobody." I say and smile up at him, removing his arm and turning, walking back through the tent back to mom's car while picking up the phone and greeting Jason.

"Hey baby you hadn't texted or anything so i was just calling to see you y'all had gotten there safe." He tells me.

"Sorry babe we got here right as the hurricane was hitting so i surfed the surge and then went home but by then all service and power had been cut." I explain to him.

"Ok I was just making sure y'all were ok. Anna, Violet and I all miss you so much, it's just not the same here without you." He says.

"I know, i miss y'all too. Well see each other soon!" I assure him.

We talked for a little while longer about how things were going and by the time i reached the car he had to go. We exchanged i love yous and goodbyes and hung up, as I pulled myself into the car.

"What did they say?" My mom asks, probably thinking that since i took so long i got some good information.

"I didn't get to talk to anyone, a bunch of people were in there screaming at each other." I tell her.

"That's ok, well come back tomorrow." She says.

I just nod my head in agreement, and we head home.

When we pulled up at the house I get out and ran up to my room to grab a swimsuit and some surf wax. Once I'd changed, i ran back down the stairs and out to the shed which was now where I stored my surfboard.

Tucking the surfboard under my arm i pocket my coconut surf wax and make my way down to the beach.

after getting there i strip down to my new red bikini and head towards the group of surfers already in the waves. i hang around them for a little bit just listening in on some of their conversations.

I've come to learn that there's going to be a kegger tonight at the bone yard.

"Hey dude, where's the bone yard?" i asked the surfer next to me.

"Just down the beach from here, just walk until you see a bunch of dead trees fallen over on the beach."

i nod my head as a thanks and catch a wave back to shore. the sun was starting to set so i went home to change for the party.

when i got hone both my parents were out doing something so i got to avoid all the questions about where i was going. i was quickly in and out, only slipping on some dry jean shorts over my slightly wet bath suit.

deciding to keep on the bathing suit in case of night swimming, i followed the kids direction until i came across the party which was in full swing by the time i got there.

i thought it was just going to be a normal kegger. oh how wrong i would turn out to be.