chapter 11- the lighthouse

"I mean it's obvious right?" John B asks us from the driver's seat.

Currently were on our way to where John B thinks is the clue. John B is driving with Kie in the passenger seat while JJ, Pope, and I all sit in the back.

"a family heirloom. what better place to hide a message?" John B asks us all. "He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?" he continues.

"Yeah. it's possible." Kie says from the passenger seat, trying to set him up for a slow let down.

"it's could also be possible that your concocting wild theories to help.... you know, deal with your sad feels." pope interjects, getting an all but pleased look from Kie.

"Bro, you know how i process my sad feels? dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how i do it." JJ adds, jumping into the conversation.

"If that means booze, drugs, and sex then i fully agree." I say and turn to JJ where he gives me a high five while Kie shoots me the same look she gave Pope from the front seat and i sink back into my place next to Pope.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B says frustrated from the driver's seat. "My dad's trying to give me a message."

"If it helps you believe, John B." Kie says sympathetically.

"Look, I-I don't need a therapy session, okay? Look, i'm not trippin out."

"It's okay to trip, bro, but-" JJ is cut short by John B.

"Look, my- my dad is missing, okay?" he says from the front seat, turning around to look at all of us in the back. Once he turns around, I exchange worried and concerned looks with the boys.

"You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering." John B completes his short speech.

"It's been almost a year." Kie says softly.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. that definitely a possibility." JJ says trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah, could be in a soviet sub getting interrogated by the KGB somewhere." Pope adds.

"Absolutely. Uh... or Atlantis." JJ continues, kicking me foot a little, waiting for me to add something.

"Maybe the lost colony got him?" I stupidly say, not knowing what else to add.

"Guys. Look, what do you think the message is?" Kie turns to John B.

"Redfield." John B repeats as we drive past an informational sign with another sign on top that says, 'Closed Due to Hurricane'. "Redfield lighthouse. That's my dad's favorite place."

As we pull up to a white picket fence surrounding the lighthouse John B parks the van and we all hop out.

"Right. Here's what gonna happen." He turns to JJ. "You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?"

"Wait... why me?"

"Because you're not coming." I say, giving him my famous are you stupid look.

"I got that much but why?" he asks.

"Look JJ, there are such things as independent and dependent variables. And you're an independent variable. we don't know what you'll do." Pope explains.

"Shut up." JJ yells, clearly pissed, pointing a finger at the boy.

"Alright enough!" John B yells over everyone. "Listen to me for a second. Pope, you stand look out with JJ. Okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house."