chapter 2- the goodbyes

if i was being honest saying goodbye to my friends was harder than i thought it would be. i had meet my 'crew' downtown at ricks like i had said in the text i'd sent the night before.

when i walked in my eye was immediately caught by the corner booth which sat a small group of 2 girls and 1 guy. when i walked over Anna was the first to see me, i'd known Anna since the 8th grade along with Violet. i had known Jason since 5th. we were the fearsome foursome. everyone knew who we were and i mean EVERYONE, we not only had reputations for being the best surfers in the school and winning all the comps, but we were all pretty good looking if i do say so. they were my bestfriends, they knew everything about me and i know everything about each of them. Jason saw me next, i was almost as the table by that point.

"hey babes, why'd you need to meet us? there's a killer swell coming in at 1 and i don't want to miss it, not as killer as your body though!" jason says jokingly with a wink.

jason and i had known each other the longest and this is how it always had been. hilarious flirting that we both knew didn't mean anything, especially because Jason was gay. he didn't seem like it though, all the girls flirted with him but he never paid them any mind, for very clear reasons.

"i'm moving." i state, straight to the point. that's always how i liked it, just getting on with it so that the pain doesn't get dragged out over the suspense.

"WHAT!" they all three scream at the same time.

"i have to move, my dad got a job opportunity. it'll help with the medical bills." i say quietly, my eyes already starting to burn from the unshed tears.

when i finally regather myself and look up, i see all my friends looking at my with sympathy.

Jason is the first to move, shooting up and running around the table to quickly embrace me in a hug. as soon as he pulled me to his chest i burst into tears.

"shhhh it's all going to be ok, i wish you would have told me you guys were struggling with the pay again. you know my family would help you out, it's not like we don't have the money to loan." he says to me in his calming low voice, but by the end of the sentence his voice cracks and i can tell he's trying to stop himself from crying too.

I don't know why this was affecting me so much now when it hadn't been earlier. i think the reality or telling my bestfriends that i was leaving pulled my head out from under water. this was real.

i don't know when but sometime during Jason's little speech to me Violet and Anna joined the hug, they were both crying too at this point.

i'm not generally an emotional person, but saying goodbye to the people who have been my rocks, my whole world since i was little was like a kick to the gut and a punch to the throat.

after a couple minutes we all seemed to regain some of our composer.

"we'll all come and visit you as much as we can!" Anna said.

"I'll pay for all the trips if i have too!" replied Jason.

"i know you guys will." i said with a sad smile as i watched my bestfriends start making plans with each other even though they don't even know where i'll be.

"so when did you find out?" Violet finally spoke.

"last night," i said while sighing "they told me that we are leaving tomorrow morning and to start packing, after i packed i just went and surfed. needed some time to think things over i suppose." i say

"i get that baby, we all know it's your thinking place." Jason laughs, trying to lighten the mood.

"yeah i-" as i start my sentence i am cut off by my phone ringing. i fish my phone out of my back pocket and frown when i see my mom's the one calling.