[31] The tides of change

Chapter Thirty-one

Once again, he stood outside Shamoor's house.

His heart paced at an abnormal rate and his hands were clenched by his sides. This was the third time Zahid was here, and this time, he was not going to return at loss.

When Shamoor opened the door, Zahid had already thought out five different ways the conversation could go.

He straightened up, about to begin but one look at him and a groan escaped Shamoor's lips. "How many times do I need to tell you and that friend of yours that I am not going to stand as a witness?"

Zahid's heart clenched. Harris had visited this place.

"I get what you're doing is important, but I've offered you the help I could, and that is all I can do for you-"

"Then why did you put that video up?" Zahid's voice was calm, his expression composed.

Shamoor's eyes widened, shock plastered on his face. He paled, suddenly at loss for words. Taking his chance, Zahid stepped forward. "You wanted to leave Raza's work along with Syed. You helped us by leading us to Qammar, and you put that video up. All that's left is for you to declare your stance by standing as a witness-"

"No." Shamoor had managed to regain himself, and his jaw locked. "You think it will all be over once Raza gets caught? That he will go to jail and everyone who raised their voice against him would be safe-"

"Qammar did it. He stood as a witness against Raza and he is perfectly safe Alhamdulillah-"

"He is hiding in Sialkot," Shamoor cut him off, scoffing lightly, "You call that safe? Qammar can hide because he is not as closely associated with Raza but Raza knows everything about me. To get Raza punished for Syed's murder, you want me and my family to lose their lives as well?"

Shamoor shook his head in disbelief, stepping back. Before he could close the door, however, Zahid placed a hand on it. "This is not just about Syed anymore!" There was a slight tremor in his voice, and it was taking him great strength to keep his voice low. "Harris was shot. Raza murdered him. Can you live with yourself knowing that you could do something about a man as vile as Raza but you refused to do so? That you'd have a hand in the hundreds of men he could possibly kill in the future?"

Once again, Shamoor's eyes widened. "Harris is dead?" he repeated, the disbelief evident in his voice. For a couple of seconds, he remained frozen, his stance stiff. Then, the door slowly opened. "Come in."

Shamoor limped inside and with a sharp intake of breath, Zahid followed, closing the door behind him.

~~~

"He would wait outside for hours, begging me, on occasions, to stand as a witness."

Zahid's knuckles turned white, his gaze fixed on the untouched cup of tea in front of him. This was the first time he was hearing about everything Harris had done, his endless efforts to help Zahid win the case.