[6] Coincidence? Or... Fate?

Chapter Six

Zahid lay on the sofa, blinking at his laptop screen. He had his mail opened and he was staring at the email forwarded to him by Harris.

The creases evident on his forehead, Zahid read the mail over and over again. The whole stance on the case had now shifted- Abdullah had changed his stance to being the plaintiff- making Zahid's client the defendant.

Since Zahid's client had demanded that Abdullah return his money- Zahid had successfully signed an agreement with the defendant, Abdullah, promising that if he returned the money, Zahid wouldn't take the case to court.

What he had thought was a simple case, solved over in a couple of days, had now taken a turn. Abdullah had suddenly declared that he owed Zahid's client no money and was facing blackmail and constant teasing from Zahid's client. Now, Abdullah had taken the role of the plaintiff- threatening that he would take the case to court.

A sigh escaped his lips and Zahid rested his head on the pillow, closing his eyes. Messed up- this was completely messed up, but the worst part was, it wasn't uncommon at all.

Feeling a cold hand on his forehead, Zahid opened his eyes- looking up at his aunt. She was reading the email opened on his laptop, and as she turned back to look at him- Zahid noticed the concern in her eyes.

"Is everything alright?" she asked, and Zahid sighed, sitting up and putting his laptop aside.

"Some problems came up with a case, khala," he said, sliding over to let Mrs. Ahmed take a seat.

"Is it serious?"

"I hope not. If it can be helped, I don't want to take this case to the court."

Mrs. Ahmed nodded, patting Zahid on the shoulder, "Everything will work out Insha'Allah," she said and Zahid nodded.

"This was supposed to be your break," Mrs. Ahmed said, after a pause, looking displeased, "You said you wouldn't be working."

Zahid smiled. " I expected I'd have to do this much work. When you're running a law firm, you can't get absolutely free anytime."

Mrs. Ahmed sighed, looking like she rather disliked that fact. "Anyways," she said, ruffling Zahid's hair, "I'm proud that my son is doing some great things. May Allah accept it and help you in this path."

~~~

Zahid was almost relieved when he failed to see Usman in the masjid. It wasn't prayer time yet but the volunteer group he had joined on WhatsApp had called for anyone who was free to help with the preparations of the upcoming events.

Zahid went right away. Working- it was the only way he knew how to sort out his thoughts, which, for the past couple of hours, has been troubling him due to the recent events. Unlike most people who relaxed when they rested, Zahid tended to put his effort and focus on something else momentarily. This technique always managed to ease him- especially when he was doing something for the sake of Allah.