[4] A Lawyer's break and decision-making

Chapter Four

The bedside clock read 5

The bedside clock read 5.00 a.m and Zahid glanced at it before he got back into bed.

The sun had begun to rise outside and he had just returned from Fajr prayer. Yawning, he pulled the blanket over himself. The weather in Islamabad was colder- not that Zahid minded though. If he were to choose, he would choose the natural cold weather of Islamabad over the warmer early winter- climate of Lahore anytime. 

As he turned around, snuggling into the warmth of the bed and realizing that it had been days since he had been this comfortable, his comfort was broken by the last day's memories, and Zahid's eyes flashed open again, a frown on his face.

Of course, yesterday hadn't been the first time his aunt had mentioned the topic of marriage to him- but this time, she seemed really serious. Moreover, this was the first time she had actually mentioned some girl whose parents she had talked to.

"Meet her, Zahid. A single meeting won't hurt, would it?"

Sighing, Zahid put his arms behind his head- staring up at the fan on the ceiling.

Marriage. Did Zahid avoid the topic- like his aunt said he did? He wasn't so sure. Even if he did, he wasn't sure why. Frankly, Zahid had absolutely no experience with anything similar to this. He was a lawyer, and since he had only recently established his own law firm, he wanted to focus on it for a while.

Perhaps though, Zahid realized, these were all only just excuses. Was it fear, then- that was stopping him? Then again, Zahid wasn't sure what he was so scared of- was it the idea that he would have to share a part of his life with someone else?  Or was it because Zahid never thought too much about love, marriage, and what-not. He had lived a good single life on his own- and now suddenly stepping out of what he was so used to, no, he did not like the idea too much.

Forcing his mind to shut up for a while, Zahid pulled the covers over his face, closing his eyes.

He would think about this later, he decided, for now- he wanted to sleep.

~~~

"You only order in, don't you?" Mrs. Ahmed frowned distastefully, eyeing Zahid who devoured his lunch.

"Sometimes," Zahid said with a nod, "At home- I either cook or eat frozen food, and Harris cooks too sometimes when we're at work."

Mrs. Ahmed shook her head, sighing, "Can't you work here? You look like you haven't eaten properly for days."

Zahid raised a brow, chuckling. "It's just because I miss your cooking, khala. I take care of myself just fine. Anyways- you know I can't work here."

"I know, I know," Mrs. Ahmed said, "I wished you could, though. If it were up to me- I'd never want you to leave."

"If it were up to me, khala," Zahid said with a smile, "I'd never want to leave, either." Mrs. Ahmed narrowed her eyes though she couldn't keep the pleased expression off her face.