Ending note

When I was in primary school, I had an Islamic studies teacher

When I was in primary school, I had an Islamic studies teacher. On each school fun fair, she would put up a stall where she would sell beaded pen covers with our names on them. The colorful beads on our pens attracted us immensely and we would crowd outside her stall, trying to get the pens with our names before anyone else did.

One year, during class, we noticed that another teacher of ours had a similar pen. When we commented on her pen, she picked it up and said something I can never forget. "Some people get sent to jail for crimes they haven't committed,"  she said to us that day, "In jail, they make these beaded pen covers so that they can support their families." 

I was in shock. That day, when I came back home, I narrated the tale to my mother (who was closely acquainted with my Islamic studies teacher) That was when I found out: 

My teacher's husband was wrongly sentenced to a lifetime in jail. 

Now, before I write the ending note, my teacher flashes into my head. A woman who spoke with such softness, narrating to us stories of the Prophets with such enthusiasm, till we would beg her to come back to our class during our free lessons to finish the story. A woman who said to my mother that she was not hopeless, that Allah was the ultimate Judge and in the end, we will all return to His court. 

To my grade four Islamic studies teacher, and one of the strongest women I have met: this book is dedicated to you. 

Alhamdulillah

Alhamdulillah. Alhamdulillah. Alhamdulillah.

No matter how much I say it, I do not think it is enough. I am only here today writing the ending note because Allah has willed it and helped me in this journey. 

In a way, I am still in disbelief. There were moments in this journey when I felt like giving up. My insecurities crowded over me ever so often, and I wondered if I should go on. Yet, here I am and it is all because of Allah. 

After that, of course, I would like to thank my family a.k.a my support group. My father, who is a lawyer and who would let me sit down with a notepad when he would get on the treadmill and ask him all sorts of questions about the workings of law and what-not. My mother, who listened to my constant rants, and continued to encourage me, knowing well enough when I was sad or sullen that something had happened in my story. And of course, my sister kaNisar who was not only the first person to read every single chapter, but who also proofread them for me, proving to be my first and number one fan. You guys are my jaans and I love you ever so much! 

Oh, and of course, YOU guys. How do I express my gratitude to you for being a part of this journey? To each and every one of my readers, thankyou for your constant support and love. I am ever so blessed to have such beautiful people join me in this journey.  

I have an imaginative mind that conjures up stories and tales on a regular basis

I have an imaginative mind that conjures up stories and tales on a regular basis. Amongst the thousands of stories that I have thought about, this one stuck with me longer than all the rest. 

A confession: the very first thing of this story that came to me was Zahid's character... and that too, in a dream. I do not remember the content of the dream, just that it was about a kind judge who refused to let go of the rope of justice. 

Thus, in its initial stages, Zahid was a judge. Soon, however, he transformed into a lawyer, and only a little after, Amal, being the beacon of hope like her name implies, stepped into my imagination as well and the first seeds of this story were sown. 

With my passion for justice, the news I hear every day on television, and the long discussions I have had with my father over the workings of law and injustice- I feel I was destined to write this story.

Another confession: I struggled a lot with the name. I thought over it for days, till I had decided on another name and was about to go with it when this name came to me: The Anthem of the Rebels. 

Now, I feel that this name is perfect for this story. From the light-hearted Part One: Serendipity, through which I aimed at rebelling against the messed up marriage customs, gossiping, and rumors- and focused on how love can be found in halal ways- to the more intense and action-packed part two and three, which rebelled against the evil in the society and the amount of injustice that rules the world. 

In a way, as I sit down to write the last of the words for this story, the realization hits me. This story has turned out to be my anthem... my anthem as a rebel. 

Once again, I would like to thank each and every one of you for being a part of this journey

Once again, I would like to thank each and every one of you for being a part of this journey. For loving Harris, Amal, and Zahid and loathing Raza with as much passion as I did. 

Now that this story is finished, I do not plan on publishing anything else anytime soon. While I do have certain plot ideas in mind, I need a break from Wattpad so I can enjoy the writing process before I decide to share anything else. Hopefully, you'll hear from me sometime in the future انشاءاللہ. 

Ah, yes, a question for my readers! If I were to write another book- would you rather it be a thriller or a slice of life? 

Oof... this is overwhelming. I feel like I am just writing on and on, nervous about having to end this. But everything comes to an end, no? 

No matter how imperfect my work may be, I hope it taught you something of value. Because it certainly did teach me a lot. 

To this beautiful journey and by the will of Allah, more to come. 

Assalamualaikum. 

Love, 
z.a