[28] Progress and Downfall

Chapter Twenty-eight

Even in his wildest dreams, his forsaken hopes- Zahid could never have imagined that something like this would happen. 

The Supreme Court was going to carry out a thorough investigation of the case. Faaris was already arrested, and the new dates for the investigation were released. This was all that the media seemed to be discussing, and Shahid Raza, while he walked around so very boldly just a day ago, now hid inside his mansion, using his connections to avoid immediate arrest.

Zahid was silently grateful, and a little nervous. This sudden move did put things in his favor but he knew that this did not, in any way, make things easy. 

Amal ranged around from one emotion to the other in seconds- she would be excited one moment, almost jumping about, and the next, she would be scared, happy, thankful, shocked, and nervous all at once.

His client- Samra Syed broke down. When Samra had first applied for an appeal, she did not expect it to get accepted. Now that the supreme court was taking action- she could hardly believe it. 

Harris' reaction, however, was the weirdest. When he had first called Zahid, his excitement seemed out of bounds but he later seemed quieter, his brows drawn together and a troubled expression on his face. Zahid did not pay it much attention though, deciding that Harris was still in disbelief over everything that had happened. 

Zahid rebuilt his report from scratch- trying to discover the best strategy he could use to win this case with only one witness. He studied the video as well, using its content to strengthen his argument.

During the overview, Zahid and Harris discovered that the street vendor who had given them information about Shamoor now refused to know anything about the matter. Aware that he had probably been bribed,  Zahid did not feel too deeply about it for Shamoor had been the one who had led them to Qammar, and rather focussed on what was within his circle of control. 

Hours blended into each other and time seemed to be in a rush to pass, for in what felt like mere hours, Zahid woke up to the Fajar azan on the day of the meeting.

He was exceptionally nervous that day. There were knots in his stomach and the sudden hollowness of anxiety had him moving from file to file, overseeing every source of information he could. His inner perfectionist had risen to the surface for Zahid knew that he could make no mistakes. He could not afford any at a point as vital as this. 

Zahid had only been able to stomach a cup of coffee and a couple of waffle bites that Amal forced into him. In the hours that passed in a flash, and yet, dragged ever so slowly- he eventually found himself getting into his suit.

It was now time. 

He buttoned up his cuffs and just as he put the tie around his neck, Amal intervened.