i'll lose my mind at least another thousand times (fred weasley)

"Eyes blue or brown can't remember, lot of time has passed since the third of December," It was actually the fifth of May, but I didn't have the talent or mental capacity to change the lyrics now. Not when I was sat in front of the Black Lake, the creatures being the only ones who ever seem to listen to me.

"Eyes green or grey can't remember, but I bet you know the colour of Heather's." It had been over a year now, and a choked sob escaped my throat as I realised I could no longer remember Fred's eye colour. Maybe if I had kept in contact with George, but it was just too painful.

The bark from the tree had begun digging into my back quite some time ago, and I only just began noticing it. I sighed quietly, and the mermaids waved back as I signalled I would be heading back into the castle.

Despite the year having passed, as I began my incline to the castle I couldn't stop myself from hearing the sounds of battle.

The screams of students, children, being forced to fight in a war, some against their parents, had been too much for me then, and it was too much for me now.

I looked down as I walked, my eyes straying to the stupid promise ring on my left hand. Stupid, empty promises.

The courtyard, after all this time, reeked with the scent of death. I couldn't look anywhere without seeing the bodies of my classmates, my friends and my families in the position they died.

"Stay safe, darling." Fred had kissed my forehead with a grin, and I had only smiled back.

"I'm just too skilled for an old death eater to kill me. You stay safe too, pretty boy." We had shared one last chaste kiss on the lips before charging headfirst into the battle.

The wall had been rebuilt. I wanted to smash it into smithereens, as many pieces as Voldemort had broken into, but I couldn't. The wall wouldn't bring him back.

Nothing would.