It's Complicated

Mary finally arrived at her home and put her backpack down in her room with a sigh. She wearily sat down on the vanity chair, taking the ribbons out of her hair.

She didn't like what she was feeling. What was it, anyway? She has tried so hard to not think of Yumeko more than a friend but now realized the nervousness that hits her when Yumeko brushed her fingers across her skin was definitely more than platonic.

"Why did I kiss her?", she couldn't help but think. "And why did I like it so much?".

She wanted to hate the fact their lips have grazed over each other, to be disgusted that she asked Yumeko if she could kiss her, to despise the prospect of being in a relationship with her that crossed the line of friendship. She didn't want to resign to the student council and accept her fate following the life plan. But she just- couldn't.

There was no point in trying to contradict her genuine feelings for Yumeko. the butterflies that grow in her stomach when their eyes meet even when it's just for a moment was getting too apparent to neglect.

She slowly unbuttoned her red blazer, letting it fall on the floor before slipping off her undershirt. After also taking off her skirt, she put on her favorite pajamas and walked towards the bathroom to clean herself.

She plopped onto the bed and stared at the ceiling of her almost pitch-black room, her messy hair slightly blocking her sight.

Mary constantly told herself she would not surrender to the whole "love" thing everyone else seemed to crave. Not until university, at least. But there was just something about Yumeko's dark brown eyes and silky smooth hair that was hard to resist.

-

Mary woke up to the sound of the alarm. She reached over towards the bedside table to turn it off and tiredly sat up, squinting from the sunlight coming from her windows.

After a few drowsy moments, her feet hovered over the chilly floor before walking over to the bathroom to take a brief bath. With her mind still in a daze, she let the cold water slowly trickle down her pale skin as she applied a layer of floral-scented soap on herself.

Getting out of the shower, she wrapped a towel around her figure and went over to her closet, pulling out a freshly washed Hyakkaou uniform. Her fingers fiddled with the buttons of her white undershirt before carefully slipping them into the buttonholes. She slipped on her dark pleated skirt, straightening it by the hem, and put on her red blazer.

She then sat down on her vanity chair and grabbed two hair ties among the mess, tying her hair in pigtails with the flimsy rubber. After tying ribbons in her hair like she usually does, satisfied with her look, she grabbed her backpack on the floor. Not forgetting to put on the house pet tag, she scurried over out her bedroom door before making her way downstairs.

Mary's parents were still away, as usual, and she didn't bother to cook breakfast. So she simply obtained an apple on her kitchen island and hurried to put on her brown loafers before going out the door, walking to school using the usual route.

Before she knew it, she found herself in front of the school gates but felt someone hug her from behind. "Mary!" a feminine voice squealed. 

"i- Nakamura? what are you doing-?" "Why are you still wearing this thing?" she interrupted, suddenly grabbing mary's house pet tag. "what-"

"don't be ridiculous. You paid off your debt, remember?"