Chapter 5: Remember

|Chris|

After jumping out of my hospital bed to see if Briana was okay, and running into her room, I was happy to see that she was sitting up, and talking to her mama.

"Briana." I said, slowly walking into her room.

Briana looked at me, then back at her mama with a worried look in her face.

"Chris, can I talk to you outside?" Mrs. Wright said.

We went outside of Briana's room and into the hallway.

"Chris, I don't know how to tell you this, so I'm just gonna say it. She doesn't remember you, she has amnesia."

The moment she told me my wife didn't remember me, my world fell apart. The woman I love had no idea who I was.

"She doesn't have amnesia." I said. As much as I was in denial, I knew deep down that Briana didn't know who I was.

"Fine, don't believe me. See for yourself." She held her hands up in surrender and we walked back into the room.

I sat down at the edge of Briana's bed. "Hey baby." I cooed.

"No disrespect sir, but I'm not your baby. I don't even know you." She said.

"Briana, you do know me. I'm your husband."

She looked down at her wedding ring. "You're not my husband. I'm only 14."

"Chris, her last memory is when she was 14 and living in Detroit." Mrs. Wright said.

"We're not in Detroit. Where are we mama?"

"We're in California." We both replied.

"Wow, I've always wanted to go to California."

I couldn't handle this anymore, so I just left. None of the doctors or security guards even noticed me.

Since my Range Rover was totaled, I had to take a cab home.

It was around the time that I needed to pick the kids up from school. I hopped in the shower, got dressed, and got in one of my cars.

"Where's mama?" Jr asked as soon as he got in the car. I didn't respond, because I wanted to tell all of them about the accident together.

Once Cierra and Caelin were in the car, I decided to tell them.

"Where's mommy?" Caelin asked.

I sighed. I hated to be the one to give bad news to the give news to the kids. But who else would tell them, since Briana didn't even remember them.

"Your mama is in the hospital." I said. There was no need to try to beat around the bush with it. "We got into a car accident."

"Is she okay?" Cierra asked.

"Kinda. You'll understand more when we get there." I said as I pulled off. The car ride was silent because they were probably deep in though about what was going on.

When we got there, I allowed Caelin and Cierra to go with my mama to the vending machines, while I talked to Jr.

"Since you're the oldest you're probably the only one that'll understand." I started. "You ever heard of amnesia?"

"Yeah." He said.

"Briana has amnesia. She don't remember nobody but your grandma."

Jr. never responded. I knew he was upset since he was a mama's boy. I pulled Jr. into a hug, assuring him that everything would be okay.

Mama, Caelin, and Cierra came back from the vending machines and handed Jr. and bag of Doritos, then we all went into the elevator.

When we finally reached Briana's room, I was more nervous than ever. I didn't think the kids needed to see Briana like this, but I couldn't keep them away from their mother, and they needed to know what was going. I slowly opened the door, to see Briana sitting in the same position as she was when I left while her mama showed her some pictures to get her to remember.

When Briana noticed us, her face lit up with joy. For a second, I thought she had remembered us, but that all changed when she spoke. "Who are these cuties?" She exclaimed.

"Briana, this is Jr., Cierra, and Caelin." I said. "These are our kids."

Briana looked at her mother once again. Mrs. Wright nodded her head. "I-I have kids?"

"Daddy, why doesn't mommy know us?" Caelin asked.

"Mommy's sick." I replied.

After hours of trying to get Briana to remember or family, it was still no use. I gathered the kids and left tthe hospital.

Once we were home, the kids did their nightly routine and went to bed.

Meanwhile the kids are sleep, I'm awake just thinking and crying. What else is there for me to do?

The fact that Briana doesn't know who I am makes me feel like the last 13 years is my life was all one dream.

I had no idea what I was going to do. If Briana doesn't know me, then it's like I have no one but our kids. If Briana doesn't know me, then who am I?

~~~

Well... we're any of you thinking that Briana had amnesia?

Will Briana ever regain her memory?

What's going to happen to Chris because of this?

What about Jr, Cierra, ams Caelin?

Comment.

Vote.

Follow.