THREE

One often creates walls.
But they don't decide who'd be the one to break them.

D A V I D  W E L L I N G T O N

"Sir the jet is prepared!", A frantic looking Eric immediately nods and takes his bag towards the waiting jet.

I look at him dumbfounded and my first response is to follow him.

The worse that could happen is Erica dy....!, I shake my head furiously. What has happened to me! She's my sister for god sake!

Eric was just about to enter on the last stair when he turns around making me halt abruptly.

"Where are you going?"
.
"With you..", I said in a duh tone. Did he drop his brain anywhere?

His eyes narrow on me, "I will live through it David. You don't need to come."

He turned to go inside when I stopped him, "Who said I am going for you!? She's my sister too."

He chuckled, "Yeah! A sister whose existence didn't bother you even for a second in the last one year. I have had a lot from you David! Go back! Do whatever the fuck you want! Me, Erica or Oliver have nothing to do with you!"

I wanted to punch him. He wants to argue at such a crucial time. No matter how much I drink, he'd always remain the dumb one.

"Listen Eric! I am coming for my sister! Not you! So fuck off and let me go in!"

"Your sister is my wife!"

"And she'd not approve of such behaviour from you."

"And that is what you took for granted.."

"Er....", I wanted to retort but I couldn't because we are interrupted by the Pilot.

"Sir we will have to hurry.", Our attention is drifted to him and Eric simply nodded, looked at me once and went inside. I followed suit.

It is about Erica.

*

He was pacing back and forth, grumbling stuff to himself, obviously regretting coming to Australia at this crucial time. Even I felt like kicking his ass.

"There was no need to come to Australia when it was her last few days of delivery."

He looked at me, "Oh wow! What a suggestion! Had her heart not been resting on the fact that you'll definitely come hearing about your niece, I wouldn't have done that! I was afraid if you don't come, she'd be disappointed. And well, you weren't coming unless you see the probability of her dying."

I wanted to return his favour from the morning, "Eric I don't care what you think. I only want Erica to be alright."

He looked away. Just then Lily came in our sitting area. She was wearing a skimpy dress. Well, she always does. But I could see the distaste emitting out of Eric.

"Sir!", She purred, "Do you need anything?"

I could feel a pair of eyes boring holes in me.
"I'd prefer a black coffee Lily."
Only if that could save her from the wrath of this man.

But like she had a death wish, she turned to Eric, who was eyeing her with disgust, "What about you sir?"

God! Death wish!

"Yeah! I want something! Please go to the staff and borrow some clothes. I don't want a naked woman roaming in my plane."

That embarrassed her. It was meant to do so.
She scurried away immediately. And I sighed.