Chapter Five

April 6th, 1920

At the break of dawn, my father set out for his first day of work at the Steel Mill. I think my mother was more excited about the occasion than him because for the first time in two years she was in the kitchen preparing breakfast. I was still trapped in the bedroom helping my little sister get dressed for school.

"Hurry and fetch your shoes, Addy. If you can slip into them in the next five seconds maybe we can walk with Papa halfway." This was a routine thing with her. She would always misplace her shoes by morning even though it was the only pair she owned.

"I'm trying! I'm trying!" Came her muffled stress-filled voice from underneath the old shaking metal bed. "I can't reach it. Please help me."

I stashed the piece of black ribbon I was struggling to tie into my hair in the pocket of my dress and hurriedly made my way over to her. Releasing a heavy sigh, I crouched down on my knees and flattened myself against the wooden floor - pushing my upper-half forward to join her under the bed. "Where is it?"

"I think I see it way back in that corner." She informed, indicating to my immediate right with the flashlight in her hands. "Can you get it?"

I could barely make out the pair of small leather shoes hampered between a week's long of dirty clothes but I could probably retrieve it in time if I used the flashlight for extended help.

"Ugh, I think so. Lend me that light." She handed over the device to me and I worked quickly to toss the pile of clothes out of the way, soon exposing her shoes out of its covert.

"Adelaide! Priscilla! Your father is leaving now!" I heard my mother yell from downstairs.

"We have to hurry!" I instructed Addy, pulling her up onto her feet and dusting out her now crumbled dress. "You know Mom is going to be crossed with you for ruining your new dress, right?"

Her big brown eyes immediately grew with fear as she inspected herself, harshly rubbing her palm along the length of the soft cotton fabric in a poor attempt to smooth out the wrinkles. Unfortunately, it was no use since she had been rolling around on the floor for so long.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," I reassured her, grabbing her little hands and squeezing them. "Just stay behind me until we're out the front door, alright?"

Not being a huge fan of words, she simply nodded her head and followed closely behind me as we trotted down the ten steps that lead us directly into the kitchen.

"About time." My mother sighed as she caught sight of us. The broad smile on her face didn't go unnoticed by either of us as she extended a hand towards Addy. "Here, take this. I packed a little extra since you couldn't make it down to eat with the rest of us." She instructed, handing over her metal lunchbox which my sister reluctantly took. "Your father can not wait a minute longer so get going." She quickly bent down and placed a chaste kiss on Addy's forehead behind me then ushered us out the front door.

Outside, we met my father and older sister Bethilia conversing quietly under the shade of our house shed.

"Alright girls. Let's get going." Papa instructed with a smile, outstretching a hand towards Addy who happily took it and skipped along beside him. I  walked with Beth as we both fell into stride behind the pair, beginning our long walk down the snowy path. It was supposed to at least ease up snowing by now but the weather became unpredictable after the war.

"What was the delay this morning?" Beth inquired from beside me, a knowing smile plastered on her lips. I bet she could already guess what it was and just needed my word for confirmation.