Chapter Four

Victoria was always very good at pretending.

Some may even say she was so good that maybe her career should have been more screen-oriented. With her skills, she could easily score a nominee for the next best actor in Hollywood. However, it was just something that now came naturally to her and quite often at her convenience. She had her parents to thank for that. If it was anything they ever taught her and she listened to, was her now perfected skill of pretense.

In their presence, she learned how to pretend that she was invisible. A ghost, to put it in other words. It's not that she was often ignored by them. It was more so the fact that she was not allowed to speak without their permission. A rule she had to quickly adapt to at a young age.

Why? Politics. Both of her parents, in some way that made them feel important enough to buy and reside in a four-story mansion on seventy-two acres of land, were politically oriented. So whenever they were out in public, it was forbidden that she threw a tantrum at the wrong moment and shamelessly embarrass them all. Or make a fool of the family name, her mother would say.

And so she pretended. Pretended that she was happy whenever she felt like shrinking down to the size of a baseball and screaming her heart out. Pretended she was proud of her parents when they constantly fed the public lies during their public speeches.

And there was most definitely a lot of those.

She even pretended that she was in love with the man that they forced her to marry. A man who was no stranger to her and loved the sound of his voice so much that he never stopped talking. Of course until... She made him.

So she eventually pretended that she was always listening. Much in the same manner she was doing right now as her colleagues continued to chatter wildly about god knows what. Maybe she would have known the subject of conversation if she was paying attention.

But no. She was just pretending. Pretending that everything was okay when all she wanted to do was bite someone's head off.

Take that as you wish.

It didn't matter who, though. It could be the next person that stepped through the double doors of the cozy-looking restaurant they sat in. Maybe even the waiter that was now awkwardly approaching them as he eyed Victoria and nervously placed their food on the table.

Or more likely, it could be the brown-eyed man in front of her that has not taken his attention off of her cleavage since the moment they sat down.

"Can I help you with something?" She decided to finally ask him just as the waiter left, completely ignoring the annoyed look on Aaliyah's face - the art teacher - as her small rant was interrupted.

Leon sat forward in his seat with a raised eyebrow, "Excuse me?"

Victoria tilted her head slightly at the chemistry teacher, silently asking him if she needed to repeat herself. Instead, she said, "You have not taken your eyes off of my chest ever since we sat down in here."

The man scoffed, unable to hide the guilty look on his face as he tried to force it off with an awkward chuckle, "Well, forgive me but you have a stain on your shirt."

Victoria lowered her head as her grey eyes reluctantly shifted to the small red blotch on the upper placket of her white shirt. Without even needing to think about it, she knew immediately where the stain was from. Or more specifically, the lunch that caused it.

"Oh." She mumbled to herself in an unbothered tone. "It's just ketchup." The dark-haired woman then proceeded to undo two buttons on her shirt, the placket curling inwards and effectively hiding the stain.