Chapter Eight

There was just no way to explain it.

I don't know if my mother gave her life meaning by embarrassing the hell out of me in public spaces, but she surely wasn't making any effort to hide it. I glared at her back through the small creases in the blinds overlaying the large window at the front of the room. She seemed to be discussing something with one of the doctors but there was no telling what it was. I for a fact was positive there was nothing wrong with me besides a mild on and off fever. However, the mysterious mark on my forehead that seemed to be responsible for my fever was saying otherwise.

Since my father is always buried in his work up to the neck and hiding out at his office for most of the day, my mother was free to do whatever she pleased. That included dragging me out of bed at four in the morning to have a Psych Evaluation test at the nearest hospital after seeing the yin-yang symbol imprinted on my forehead. As suspected, she assumed I had gotten a tattoo without her permission, and on my face nonetheless... So she brought me here to see if I had truly lost all of my senses. I know the woman was a little erm... unusual -- but this? I was hoping that there was an underlying reason for her bringing me here and that is because I'd been feeling so terribly ill all weekend that I barely made it out of bed to use the bathroom.

I wanted to text my dad and complain about the absurdity of the entire situation but she took my phone away at the last minute. As much as my mom was stubborn about it, he knew how much I disliked the idea of being in a hospital ever since the incident... To make matters worse, she got my poor little sister involved in all of this, and instead of taking a nap at home within the comfort of her own room after her tiring day at school, the eight-year-old was dozing off in a chair to my immediate left. She was still dressed in her uniform and her pigtails had come undone, leaving behind a cluttered wavy mess resting on her face like a large black cat. The only visible feature on her face was her parted lips whose only purpose was to retract the small string of saliva that escaped every time she breathed out.

Ugh, how I wish I had my phone right now to take a picture of that.

The wooden door swung open with a gentle breeze and a petite pretty nurse in pink scrubs strolled in. She smiled at me kindly before her eyes shifted to the sleeping child in the chair beside me and a light giggle fell off her lips.

"I don't suppose you have a phone I can borrow to capture this sweet memory for the both of us?" I tried joking with her as she approached my bed and began fidgeting with the heart monitor.

Her head tilted slightly as she contemplated the idea then took a quick peek at my mom through the blinds. My mother still had her back facing us and after taking notice of this, the nurse retrieved her phone from a deep pocket in her shirt and unlocked it before handing it to me. I swiped open the camera app and pointed the device towards my sleeping sister as I hurriedly took the picture. Along with the loud shutter sound and a blindingly bright flash of light in the small room, my little sister was startled awake and she blinked at us both several times before coming to her senses.

"What was that?" She questioned us sleepily and I discreetly handed the phone back to its owner then squinted my eyes at my sister suspiciously.

"What was what?" I repeated, playing dumb.

"Uh..." She stared between the two of us for a while longer before sitting up straight and using the sleeve of her uniform to wipe the drool off of her mouth. "Was that lightning?"

"Sure," I answered her as I bit my lip to stifle my laughter. I turned my attention to the nurse and she too was unable to hide the wide smile on her face. I have never seen a guiltier look on a criminal.

"So," She finally said after composing herself. "I'm just going to run a few quick tests before we send you home for the night." At that moment, I noticed the two types of equipment she held firmly in her hands. She set the smaller one down on the bedside table and secured the padded part of the bigger one around my upper arm. I watched on in silence as she set everything up and the room remained quiet until the nurse began to squeeze on a small rubber-like ball that filled the pad up with air on my arm, increasing the pressure but not enough to actually hurt me.