Chapter Ten

'Talk to the school's counselor'? What the actual hell?

Ugh, this is precisely why I didn't want to open my mouth and say anything. Miss Addington is just like any other teacher I've known and I don't know why I assumed she would be any different just because she was sort of nice to me.

Okay, listening to myself now, I do sound a little pathetic.

Still, I didn't expect her to shoo me off to the goddamn school counselor. I wasn't even being serious about the whole 'depressed' thing. I've had my fair share amount of grieving in the past that had put me in a very dark place. I doubt a few terrifying dreams could ever bury me back into such a deep hole.

Whatever, I don't need anyone's help. Especially not hers. I'm perfectly capable of finding a solution to a few nightmares on my own.

"What's with the deep frown on that little gremlin face?"

I slowly turned my head to the left and shot a sideways glare at my father.

"You're not funny," I told him, although my spirit was slightly lifted at the goofy smile on his face.

"Well I like to think I'm something not too short of a comedian myself," He retorted, his brown eyes trained straight ahead as we cruised down the highway.

"And I beg to differ."

"Shut up."

I playfully rolled my eyes at him then, unable to hide my smile anymore. My father could be more childish than me sometimes. Not that I was complaining. I love that about him. It made him so much easier to talk to in comparison to my mother whom I always felt like I was walking on eggshells in her presence.

"Alright, come on, tell me what's bothering you, hmm?" His tone was slightly more serious now and I felt the crease forming in my forehead as the events of this afternoon's English class replayed in my head.

I haven't told anyone else besides the very rude Miss Addington about the dreams I had been having and after today I wasn't going to risk opening my mouth again. My father might not be any Miss Addington but I couldn't always rely on him not to tell my mother certain things. She had already taken me for a psych evaluation test. The next step would just be for her to admit me to the nearest looney house. Speaking of that test...

I wonder if I aced it?

"I'll tell you later," I finally said to my father, a miserable attempt at getting him to drop the topic knowing his curiosity would outweigh any situation.

"Pfft, sure. You and I both know your definition of later is going home and taking a nap then forgetting all about it the next day. And you know how busy I usually am with work to remember myself." I sighed at the truthfulness in his words and redirected my gaze to the passing cars outside my window in the passenger seat. "Come on, Rory. While my mind is completely free for the rest of the afternoon, talk to me. I promise you to have all of my attention."

I contemplated his words for a long moment but decided against it and shook my head in response.

"I'll tell you later."

My father sighed heavily in defeat and it's like I could hear all his unsaid thoughts in that single exhale. I knew I was being stubborn about a possibly insignificant little thing but truthfully, I simply didn't feel like talking anymore.

"Is the Biology textbook the only thing that you need at the store?" Came his soft voice a few moments later. I almost forgot why it was suddenly taking us longer than it should have to get home - then I remembered I needed a new Biology textbook at the last minute. My father had decided we take a detour halfway home.