Chapter Two

The quiet classroom was slowly beginning to feel like a sanctuary the longer Victoria Addington sat alone at her new empty desk, recently manicured nails tapping along the shiny mahogany desk as she tried to calm her racing thoughts.

Too much had happened within the span of six and nine a.m and she had already begun to doubt if accepting her nephew's offer was a wise decision. Between fighting off dirty and suspicious looks from her colleagues, getting in a fight with the principal on her first day after assembly, and, of course, accidentally branding one of her seniors because she had no control over her body that sometimes acted like a human repellent, it was a lot. Maybe it was too early an idea but she was already fiddling with an empty white envelope, contemplating getting a head-start on her resignation letter.

The wooden door to her classroom creaked open slowly and a familiar figure strode in, pausing in the doorway suddenly as they took in Victoria's now rigid frame.

"Oh, sorry." The teenager stuttered out awkwardly, hazel eyes dipping to the envelope in Victoria's hand briefly. "I didn't realize you were already in here, otherwise I would have knocked."

Gray eyes slowly skimmed over the fidgety figure in the doorway with curiosity and the young girl visibly squirmed under Victoria's intense gaze. "That's okay." The dark-haired woman finally supplied, a small smile tugging at the corner of her lips. She suddenly felt the need to apologize to the poor girl about what had conspired earlier, going through a million different ways in her head to say 'Sorry for the whole 'burning-you-because-you-unexpectedly-touched-me' thing'. Or, at the very least, warn her about the inevitable events that would soon follow after.

But it probably wouldn't have made a difference whether she apologized or not since she figured the incident would have already been wiped clean from her memory by now. Instead, she gestured with a delicate hand to the empty chairs in her classroom, wordlessly encouraging the teenager to come in and have a seat.

Taking the hint, Aurora carefully closed the door behind her and moved further into the small classroom. Victoria took that time to finally allow her eyes to wander her student's slim form. Her eyes carefully trailed up from the younger girl's pair of white converse up her toned legs with noticeably taut muscles thanks to the short pleated skirt she wore.

At the back of her mind, Victoria wondered if such a skirt was allowed in the school's dress code. However, she was far too caught up in the way the white sleeved shirt Aurora had tucked into her skirt that was purposely left unbuttoned about three buttons from the top to actually care. If it weren't for the tie wrapped loosely around Aurora's shirt collar then Victoria was sure she would have gotten a more-than-she-can-handle view of her cleavage. That thought was short-lived as Victoria quickly dismissed it with a subtle shake of her head.

She watched as Aurora paused and looked around the classroom briefly as if trying to remember something, then she casually slipped into a chair and desk situated at the far back of the classroom. Victoria imagined that when said classroom was eventually filled with the remaining twenty-six loud and chatty seniors, Aurora would be almost invisible in her line of sight from where she was sitting. The teacher wondered for a moment if that was the senior's intention and the need to ask the question burned hotly on the tip of her tongue. But she withheld, deciding that after her too straightforward speech at this morning's assembly, her students, as well as coworkers, would be trying their best to stay out of her path and keep conversation to a minimum with her. A frown appeared along the corner of her lips and she had to remind herself that that was exactly what she wanted all along. In hindsight, saying that might have just interfered with her plans greatly.

She couldn't take the risk of becoming too friendly with anyone as she didn't know how permanent this new job was going to be. It all depended on whatever direction her plans took. She was here for one thing and one thing only. So if that one thing wasn't prioritized among the possible many other things she could easily get wrapped up in by being a little too chatty with a pupil or colleague, then all hell would break loose.