Chapter 6 | Uniform

"We don't live in a perfect world, but we do live in the best world that has ever existed."

-Benjamin Aaron Shapiro

The portly woman got to work immediately after finishing the measurements, tossing aside piles of clothing laying around the room. After rifling around, she exclaimed "Aha! There it is!" She held up a thin, black woolen robe. Ben looked over at Dreyr, flabbergasted. Dreyr turned to him.

"Beth is one of the best seamstresses in town, and by far the fastest. She also deals with custom requests that others in town can't do. Don't mind her... eccentricities." If Beth heard, she didn't pay any attention. She was already busy going at the robe with a pair of fabric scissors. She worked fast. Ben tried to follow what she was doing, but she flipped between different portions of the robe quickly, taking long precise cuts. The robe was soon whittled down to be roughly the size of a tunic, with the sleeves entirely removed. 

"A tabard." Ben muttered.

"That's right." Dreyr looked over at him. "It'll keep your body warm but still allow for movement. It's basic uniform for an Oathmaster." Ben's eyes shot to Dreyr.

"Does that mean-"

"Yes." Dreyr cut him off. "You've got Oathmaster blood in ya."

Ben stood there, stunned into silence. These past two days seemed to have that effect on him. "I couldn't possibly be, Dreyr. I'm almost 100% certain I'm not even from this world. I don't even know what an Oathmaster is!" Ben's words came out sharp. He had no idea what was going on, and that was a new feeling to him. He also couldn't help but think of his wife and daughter back home. He didn't have time for this Oathmaster nonsense. He needed to get home as soon as possible. Beth looked up from her handiwork.

"This one's crazier than the old one." Dreyr shot her a look. She shrugged, then turned her attention back to her task.

"I can deal with many things, but this whole scenario is illogical!" Ben squawked. "I was willing to take things slow, but you obviously have some sort of secret agenda for me!" Ben's face was red. " I promise that I-"

Dreyr walked over to Ben and slapped him across the face. "Calm down." Ben's anger dissipated.  He fell silent. "I get that things are confusing for you right now, but don't forget that I saved your life just last night. I don't owe you an explanation, I don't owe you a damn thing."

Beth looked on. She looked very amused. Dreyr cleared his throat. "You'll get your answers." He walked over and loomed over Beth. "You almost done?"