Chapter 7 | Power

"Lasting happiness can only be achieved through cultivation of soul and mind. And cultivating our souls and minds requires us to live with moral purpose."

-Benjamin Aaron Shapiro

Ben slipped the tabard on top of his new gray cotton shirt. He hadn't noticed the hood until now, and a part of him felt powerful with the anonymity it could bring. He felt ashamed of this thought. He had built his entire life off of being known. Then again, that was a whole different world...

"How do you like it?" It was the first thing Beth had said since Ben had met her that hadn't dripped with sarcasm. He stretched out his arms, marveling at his mobility.

"You did fine work." Ben looked to Dreyr. He had no money to pay for the clothes, and was trying to get that across to Dreyr without words. Dreyr noticed his intense staring, and a weird expression crossed his face. He then walked out of the store, offhandedly waving for Ben to follow.

"Seeya, Beth."

"But Dreyr, you didn't pay for these clothes!"

"Go on, kid." Beth said. As Ben walked out, he made a promise to himself to pay her as soon as he got a hold of some money. Ben followed Dreyr through to the edge of town. A lush expanse of forest lied in front of them.

"Where are we going?"

"Somewhere I can give you a practical demonstration."

Ben's legs ached by the time the two of them made it to the clearing. About two miles into the forest, there was a small patch of land with no vegetation at all. Just dirt and ash. This heath doesn't look like it was caused by a forest fire. Dreyr turned to Ben. "So, you asked me what an Oathmaster was. I intend to show you." His expression was serious. His eyes bore holes in Ben's soul.

"I'll give you an explanation, but first, I think it would be easier if I showed you what exactly an Oathmaster can do. You must be curious as to how I killed that beast last night." Ben couldn't argue. He watched Dreyr with bated breath. "You'll want to stand back for this one." Dreyr said. He was gripping his right arm with his left, steadying it as he pointed his open palm at a particular spot on the ground. "Do you see that rock on the ground, Ben?"

"I do."

"Good."

A thin whistling noise pierced Ben's ears as the rock shattered into pieces. Shrapnel shot in all directions, one piece narrowly missing Ben's shoulder as its trajectory carried it into a nearby tree. Ben looked on with awe. There was still so much about this world he didn't understand. So much he wanted to know. But this...

Dreyr looked over to Ben, a small bead of sweat running down his brow. A shiver ran down his spine. A broad smile ran across Ben's face.