Chapter 9 | Horror

"You Can Do It. Forge forth and conquer. Build. Cultivate. You were given the ability to choose your path in life--and you were born into the freest civilization in the history of mankind. Make the most of it." 

-Benjamin Aaron Shapiro

The trek back took far less time. Ben's lungs felt like they were going to burst, and his legs risk giving out as he chased after Dreyr. Black smoke rose into the air above the town, turning the sky gray. He had no idea a human could run so fast for so long. Dreyr was superhuman, running with the speed of a bloodhound chasing down its quarry. He was a blip in the distance, and Ben had a creeping suspicion that Dreyr wasn't even going all out. He'd have to save some stamina in order to deal with whatever was going on in town.

Ben burst into the clearing, and the first thing that hit him was the smell. What the hell is that? Ben started gagging. He felt like he would puke. Dreyr was nowhere to be seen, not that Ben could see too much of the town through the smoke. The smoke and the fire. The town was ablaze. Not a single house in sight wasn't set ablaze. Black billowing smoke threatened to close Ben's throat. He covered his mouth and nose with the shirt underneath his tabard. He started walking toward the town, trying to catch up to Dreyr.

He rushed toward town square, but was quickly drawn away from wailing within a building to his left. He rushed over to the blazing building, and braced himself to break down the door. Before he got the chance, it crashed open. A screaming ball of fire rushed out and toward the town square. It made it about five steps before it collapsed, dead. Ben started vomiting. He now knew what the smell was. Ben's vision started to grow dim. He collapsed to the ground.

Dreyr dashed through the burning streets, smoke causing his eyes to tear up. He tried his best to ignore the smell, but it pervaded even through his pulled up scarf. His eyes narrowed as he reached his target. He didn't slow down in the slightest as he rammed into the door to Beth's Sewing. The flaming wood exploded under Dreyr's strength. He looked around the room frantically. Beth was in the back of the shop. Dreyr stood over her. A part of the ceiling had collapsed and impaled itself into her side. Nearly vacant eyes looked up at Dreyr.

"Crawlers." Blood gushed out of her mouth as she spoke. Her voice was hoarse, the word sounded pained. Dreyr looked at her, silently. She smiled up at him. "Do me a favor, Dreyr."

Dreyr still stood silently. He lifted up his arm, and concentrated. Beth was extinguished.