16

Weeks spent, hours poured into preparation for tonight

Weeks spent, hours poured into preparation for tonight. The men she had to work with were cold and somewhat distant, not that she minded. Though over the last few days they'd been slightly softer towards her, still gruff and moody.

She also knew, however that they'd fight if they knew what she had to do after they helped her. They played the stupid southern gentleman role rather well.

The pair were handsome, obviously, but they weren't her friends. An ally for the time being.

North Taylor, uncles nephew and Brandon Henshaw, Corey's twin.

They had no obligation to help her after they did the job they were aware of and as far as she was concerned, they wouldn't. Academy may help eachother but nothing in life was free and most families only extended their values to suit their needs. Family first.

The charity event would be packed, crawling with criminals.

Funnily enough, they never expect women to be invited. Ladies were usually only used as a man's plus one to make himself look less lonely.

She'd figured that would be the case for tonight, her main target was a man in his late twenties. He was fairly attractive bar the awful attitude issues that festered around him.

Violet had few options to wear, the cut across her shoulder still raised and sore, she'd have to cover it as much as possible. Still, she needed to pull of a look that would bring attention to herself.

A deep red dress pooled at her feet. Sheer layers wrapped from her waist the strapless bodice curves inwards at her waist. The material thin enough she could move without much hassle.

She knelt on the edge of her chair to strap multiple knives into the holster at her ankle. Another blade disguised as lipstick tucked into her bra as well as a small handgun at her upper thigh.

The weapons provided a comfortable weight, like an armour. The familiarity the weapons provided reassured her she'd be okay. Whatever the outcome, she'd manage.

As per usual, she put her life at risk and whilst she knew she was only worsening her mistakes a small part of her hoped that by taking down criminals, she'd get a sense of justice to the world. Killing wasn't the most justifiable process but every system was corrupt in one way or another. It only took a bribe made to the right person and they'd be set free.

The further the sun set, the more her nerves grew. North would pick her up soon, Brandon would stay outside in a car. Ready to leave at any given moment.

She felt bad for these men, they didn't know the full extent or her mission, they had to gather Intel and hopefully integrate themselves within the circles of crime. Hopefully, the main man himself would join them.

After fifteen minutes or so of waiting anxiously, she heard the quiet rumble of a car outside. Violet snuck a glance through her window and realised they were there.

She gathered her purse, and some sunglasses before opening the door and exiting her home.

North sat in the drivers seat of his jeep, Brandon in the process of exiting the passenger side.

Throughout her mental checklist, she locked her door and walked briskly towards the car. Noting the no doubt chivalrous attempt being made to seat her in the passenger seat, the woman ushered Brandon back and opened her door behind him.

"Boys, I'll be fine in the back." she insisted, despite knowing them a short while, she knew how unfairly stubborn they were.

Brandon twisted uncomfortably to face her, raising an eyebrow.

"See, I have shorter legs than you guys. There's no reason for me to have more space." she huffed, gesturing to her legs.

North shook his head looking back at her from the rearview mirror a small smirk painting his face.

"So, baby, what are the plans for tonight?"

"Baby? You are not calling me baby, North" stupidly enough, she felt the idiotic flutter in her stomach at the nickname.

"anyways, you can come in with me grumpy whilst Brandon waits in the car as our little getaway," she paused in her explanation, "then chances are, you'll leave before me. If that does happen I'll check in later to clarify the favours you'll get."

Brandon stiffened slightly, "what do you mean, we'll be leaving earlier?"

"You'll most likely be leaving earlier, I had to add an extension to my part of the mission, per Dr. Roberts request" she knew she was making up excuses, Phil hadn't requested her to but he had okayed it when she asked.

She didn't have to do much if she were honest. Infiltrate the circle and hopefully attract the attention of her target. That, she would have to do alone, a large growly man like North deters the majority of male company. Maybe she'd get his number if things went right, it would be great for the mission.

They were mid way to the event, the car stuck in a tense silence.

Both men had clenched jaws, North's hands tight around the wheel.

She rolled her eyes, wondering why they were so mad. They got their favours and despite the nickname, she got the impression they weren't too bothered by her. Neither man would have to see her after tonight, the favours would be transferred via Phil.

Jolted out of her thoughts, she notices the lines of cars waiting to enter a large estate.

She sat silently, waiting until there was a small road which drove them further into the woods, a small distance from the mansion.

North appeared at her door, gesturing for her hand.

"good luck guys, don't die" Brandon joked, the hard edge to his voice ever present.

Steeling herself, she took the man's hand, allowing him to lead her towards the overfilled event. The pair locked eyes for a moment before looking away, heading inside.