nineteen!

(  friends in high places )

friends in high places )

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄♔⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

REALLY, LUCY HAD NO ONE TO BLAME BUT HERSELF WHEN, SECONDS LATER, SHE MET JJ MAYBANK'S EYES AND REALISED THAT THE CHOICE SHE HAD MADE MOMENTS AGO WAS THE WRONG ONE.

          "Well, would you look at that!" JJ's voice rang out across the water, slightly obscured by the scarf he'd tied around his face. There was an edge to his voice, a sharpness Lucy recognised. "Missed me already, huh?" His friend turned to face him, little more than a silhouette against the sunshine, but Lucy could imagine the look on his face. It likely matched the shock on her own. She didn't stop to wonder why he'd recognised her so quickly, either.

Lucy stopped dead in her tracks as she came to the abrupt end of the pier, the shade of the hideous sunroof Topper had spent all summer talking about barely cooling her down.

          "What are you doing?" Lucy replied, ignoring his slight barb. She crossed her arms over her chest, refusing to duck away from his gaze.

          "Could ask you the same thing, princess." Lucy told herself annoyance was all she felt when the nickname left his lips.

          "I belong here," she answered. No point in dancing around the reality of things — Kooks will be Kooks, and all that. JJ scoffed, and despite the fact that she could hardly see him, Lucy knew he had rolled his eyes. A thrum of pride shot through her. It was always nice to get under someone's skin. The rumble of the boat's engine cut out, falling idle. She thought she could hear JJ laughing.

Before she could think better of it (or think the decision through at all, really), Lucy hooked three fingers under the hem of her shirt.

          "The fuck are you doing?"

          "What does it look like I'm doing?" She replied as her shirt came up and over her head, pooling in a heap on the floor. "I'm coming onboard before you do something stupid."

          "I never do anything stupid!" Rolling her eyes, she readied herself to make the jump off the pier and into the water. His voice took on a sort of urgency as he began to speak (shout, really) again. "Woah, woah, woah, don't—"

She jumped.

Whatever JJ had been about to say didn't reach her ears, which were now filled with the murky water that ran through Kildare County. Lucy didn't mind being underwater. At least it was quiet for once. The stillness didn't last, though.

With a gasp, Lucy surfaced, pushing wet hair out of her face until it clung to the back of her neck and fanned out in the water behind her. With quick, confident strokes, she made her way towards the boat. Maybe this wasn't her wisest move yet, but she'd hardly been on a good decision-making streak so far. Why stop now?