twenty three!

( princess )

( princess )

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄♔⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

          "RAFE, DUDE, GET YOUR ASS OUT HERE!" Pounding at the door of Rafe's bedroom woke Lucy, the handle rattling. That was the first thing she noticed. The second thing was the fact that every breath felt like needles scratching at the inside of of her throat. The third was the metallic taste of dried blood on her lips.

The fourth was that she was lying in an empty bed.

Taking in a breath, Lucy pushed herself up with a single shaking arm, the other hand pressing the white bedsheet to her chest. The sound of Rafe's shower running grounded her. She had a few minutes to herself now, as she often did each morning. Something felt distinctly different today, though, the memories of last night coming in fits and spurts of vivd colour. Orange flames. Pale moonlight. The blonde of JJ's hair. The feeling of the gun in her hand hadn't abandoned her yet, either. Something in her had shifted, and Lucy couldn't put her finger on what.

Last night was the first time Rafe had ever locked the door.

If Topper's incessant knocking was anything to go by, that was clearly still the case. She swung her legs over the side of the bed, toes brushing the discarded clothing on the floor. Reaching down, she grabbed something that resembled a t-shirt, pulling it over her head and arranging her hair as best she could to hide whatever marks had been left on her skin the night before.

Lucy made her way to the door, finding the latch of the lock just as Topper called out again.

          "Rafe!" She pressed a palm to the door before she opened it to face the reality of the day.

Swinging the door open, Lucy found herself face to face with Topper, whose eyes widened as he took in her face. She didn't want to know what she looked like.

          "What—" She cleared her throat, tried again. "What do you want, Topper?" He looked down at the floor, then back to her, scratching at the back of his neck.

          "Just tell Rafe to hurry up." His voice was quieter now.

          "He's in the shower." She knew her voice was grim, knew what this must look like. Topper knew it too.

          "Yeah, well," he continued, "He's gonna miss the show." Her brow furrowed.

          "What show?" In the background, the shower turned off. Topper's eyes darted away from Lucy's face, looking into her room. His eyes sparked with something like anticipation.

          "You'll see."

With that, he walked away. Lucy stood still for a moment, staring after him, her hand still resting against the door.