thirty three!

( catfight's over )

( catfight's over )

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄♔⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

           "LUCY, WAIT!" A voice called out behind her, accompanied by the sound of someone crashing through the sandy undergrowth.

She sped up.

Lucy had clearly been right when she had told JJ she didn't belong with the Pogues, that he'd made a mistake bringing her to Rixon's. Still, for a moment, she'd let herself hope.

She felt like an idiot.

She was moving blindly through the forest, everything unfamiliar in the soft light of the moon. The hem of her dress was being pulled every which way by stray branches, and she was unsteady on her feet. The Hawk's Nest was her north star, standing tall in the distance. Sarah would be there, and she could try and convince her that they should go home and leave this mess behind them. She didn't think it would work, though. She suspected they were both in far too deep.

Lucy had ruined everything tonight.

Fighting with Sarah, revealing that she knew about the gold, standing up to her mother, running away from Rafe. Her list of indiscretions was growing dangerously long. She wanted to go back to the start of the summer, when she'd laid in bed with Sarah and made promises she thought she would be able to keep. Back to before the Boneyard, when something had irrevocably shifted in the Outer Banks. Paradise on earth. Yeah, right.

Lucy knew wishing for that was futile, though. She was part of something bigger than herself now. They all were.

Before she knew it, she broke free of the trees and emerged into a clearing. The ground beneath her bare feet, heels long discarded, was gritty. The air was being squeezed out of her lungs, and she sank to her knees, heaving in desperate breath after desperate breath.

If there was a higher power, Lucy prayed they were looking out for her. She prayed that whoever had been trying to follow her had turned around. She didn't want anyone to see her like this.

Her prayers went unanswered.

          "Lucy?" Her name was spoken tentatively from behind her, a shaky whisper. Lucy kept her head in her hands, refusing to look.

          "Leave me alone," she replied, the words muffled. Sparing a glance over her shoulder, Lucy let her hands fall from her face.

The last person she had expected to see had followed her into the clearing. Kiara.

          "What are you doing here?" The other girl was looking down at her feet, a crown of flowers nestled in her dark hair. She seemed reluctant to speak.

          "I shouldn't've said that stuff," Kiara said, under her breath, "Okay?" Lucy's brow furrowed. If that was Kiara's idea of an apology, it was pretty bad.