Year 1- Sorting

We all listened to a speech, but in all honesty, I wasn't paying attention. Then we were all then addressed by the woman from before. She then started calling us up. Again, I didn't pay attention until people I knew were being called up. I was actually first.

"Potter, Allyson." The woman called out.

I took a deep breath and walked up to the stool and sat down. I didn't know how this worked nor did I know if the hat shouted things about myself to everyone or just talked softly to me until my house was to be said. As soon as I sat down the woman put the hat on my head.

"Ah, another Potter. I thought Harry was the only one. Any relation?"

He paused then continued, "Yes, it's all here. In your head. All your thoughts. All your fears. All your confusion. Your whole life story. It's all here."

"You have some great qualities. Qualities all houses value. Books are valuable to you, like most Ravenclaws. Yet, you're caring and brave like most Gryffindors. Also, cunning and will do anything to achieve your goal like most Slytherins. Yet, hardworking and patient like most Hufflepuffs. But where to put you."

He paused a moment then started again, "you're driven to find the person that gave you your most valued book. Living with muggles and going to school with them, your favourite subjects were chemistry and history. We have classes like that. You're excited to learn more about the magical world. You're willing to wait and stick it through with your muggle family, just to stay with your brother, the most important person in your life at the current time. You have soulmate magic, and all the other houses have all beds full in the special dormitory. All but the Gryffindor dorms."

This confused me. I don't understand why soulmate children need to be separated. We aren't dangerous, are we? I didn't want to hurt anyone. I didn't want to be here if I was a danger. I was suddenly washed with the feeling of not wanting to be alive anymore. I couldn't shake the feeling. I didn't want people to see me with an inhaler and I didn't want to hurt anyone. Especially not when I made friends already.

"Worry not. It is just because some choose to abuse their power. You show lots of qualities for all houses, but there is only one that has the proper room needed for you."

He paused once more then started talking again, "Better be, GRYFFINDOR!"

The Gryffindor table roared and clapped. I sighed and jumped down, happy that the traumatic experience was over. I sat down beside a first year I didn't know. The sorting ceremony continued. Taytum was next, she was sorted into Slytherin. Then Vesper, she was also a Slytherin. Next was Orion, he was in Slytherin. His brother and sister gave smug, yet proud, looks to him. I felt bad for him because he wasn't even given the chance to be placed anywhere else. It was as if his last name was a predetermined factor. Then Ginny was sorted. After a short two minutes she was placed in Gryffindor. She sat down beside me, and we hugged. Even knowing we wouldn't be able to share a dorm. Then Annie was called up, but she wasn't here so they went on to the next person.

All my friends were Slytherins, except Ginny and me. I didn't plan on that changing our newly found friendship. The story of my parents still rang in my head, though. Mom was a Gryffindor. Dad was a Slytherin. He was influenced by his housemates to throw slurs at my mom, and it ruined their friendship. Harry's dad also really wasn't the best person to my dad in school, yet mom didn't defend my father. She just stood there and watched or would just keep walking. It was truly devastating to me. Harry's dad also didn't have the best group of friends. He was friends with a coward, a werewolf, and a criminal. The criminal was subsequently the reason our mother died and is Harry's godfather.

Soon another speech was made and then food was somehow magically placed on the tables in front of us. I took a small bit of food, still kind of full because of the big breakfast I had at the Weasley's house. I don't usually eat much for dinner anyways because I could get sick. I grabbed a small chicken leg, a small bit of mashed potatoes, a small bit of homemade crisps, and a small bit of chips. I didn't really want to eat, but if Fred, George and Ginny saw I wasn't eating I'd probably get an angry letter from Molly tomorrow. I slowly ate at the food and watched as ghosts started swarming the room.