4| DELIVERED

The waters at the foot of Hoerikwagga did not stir. Not a single cloud in the pale blue sky had gathered to spread a white cloth over the table-topped mountain. Commander van Riebeeck hurried across the beams of the newly constructed jetty to welcome the Malacca. Receiving and reviving captains and crews of Dutch vessels on their voyages to and from Batavia rested on his shoulders. Those were moments to behold. It reminded him why he traded the comforts of his fatherland for the godless piece of earth that had bewitched him. He had a lot of hope that a man on board the Malacca would bring news. Important news about his personal circumstances raised in the most diplomatic manner with the Lords Seventeen.

The motley crew ranged from old and middle aged to very young. Many were sick and undernourished. A sailor in shackles caught his attention. He walked across the deck to the figure that stood separate from the rest of the passengers. Before he could take closer look at the sailor he was stopped in his tracks. His gloved hand reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief. 'What is that smell?' He cursed and pressed the embroidered handkerchief over his nose.

The captain doubled his pace to catch up with the Commander and positioned himself next to him, hands behind his back. 'With compliments from Batavia,' he said. 'Delivered to you in perfect condition.'

Susanna was flanked by two sailors on both sides, a red rag tied around the unevenly shaved head. "I present to you the One Ear convict." His introduction concluded with a sweeping hand gesture and a curtsy executed with a mocking smile. The veiled sarcasm did not elicit the intended reaction from the high-ranking Dutch Commander. Instead, it was met with a cold stare.

" Papers?" He asked, eyes on the unresponsive slave.

"With the Commissioner. Cunaes."

The Commander could not hide the irritation in his voice. "Batavia informed me of a female convict from Bengal. This is not a female-"

"It is," the captain responded. "Susanna van Bengal. That is her name, if my memory serves me well."

"The clothing?"

"Illness demanded we dispose of it. Disease is a ship's demise. You will understand. You were once a surgeon on one of these, uh. Unsavoury voyages? Yes?"

"Of course. Of course."

"She was half dead when she boarded." He stroked his grey beard. 'They did not expect her to make the voyage, but luck was on her side and here she stands. Lucky one. She escaped the shark menu and made it to your colony. Alive.' He laughed with his bearded mouth wide open, exposing all the gaping holes and tobacco-stained teeth. His crew looked at one another and then at their captain, not quite sure what was the cause of the joviality of their captain. They did not call him sour puss behind his back for nothing. But, when the captain laughed, they laugh. One-by-one they joined in the windfall of gaiety. Their nervous, low-keyed chuckles picked up, spread like a wave across the deck and petered out. When he stopped, they stopped and returned to their activities on the deck.

Susanna followed the flight of a flock of birds, arranged in a perfect v-formation across the sky, until they disappeared from sight.

"One ear missing? What for?" Enquired van Riebeeck.

"Not certain which crime claimed it," replied the captain while wiping his eyes with his hand, exposing his dirty nails. "Thievery. That would be my guess."