19| RESISTANCE

Hendrik Boom was the first freeman who felt the sting of Caapmen
resistance.

The Commander hurried to the quarters of his fiscus, Abraham. 'The Caapmen stole one bull and six milk cows of Hendrik, and fled.' The Commander was shaking. His face red, and his fisted hands twitched at the opening of his frilled sleeves. 'With the help of freeman Reinersz they caught one of the thieves and is holding him hostage.'

'Anyone we know?'

'The leader of the Caapmen.'

'The fat captain?'

'He was not as fast on his legs as the rest.'

The Commander walked with Abraham to the entrance of the hallway. 'Take men. And take Anthony with you. Tell the fat captain not to be anxious. Nothing will happen to him if he makes sure the cattle are restored. If he does, we will reward him.'

When Abraham returned the next day the Commander confronted them as they descended from the wagon. 'What news do you bring?'

'He claims it was our own fault. The Soaquas had seized advantage when they witnessed that little care was taken of the herd. He wanted to stop them but feared that they had already been driven behind the Leopard Mountain.'

'Where does that leave us and the stolen cattle?'

'He gave his word that he will do everything in his power to recover the cattle through his people. In the meantime he will remain with Reinersz.'

'Return tither. Impress upon his heart that I will not release him unless the cattle are returned.'

The Commander was relieved when a report finally reached the fort that all the cattle belonging to the freeman Hendrik Boom had been returned. But, for the first time, worry had taken residence in his head. What was the reason for the sudden surge in cattle theft in his neighbourhood? Whatever the reason, it was a sign that all was not well. He had to get to the bottom of it. He summoned Abraham. 'Further lawlessness must be stopped. We cannot allow these random thefts to spread.'

'Random? No. it was well-planned and executed,' came the response from Abraham.

'That is worrying... but not surprising.'

'The fat captain went to great lengths to point out that not one head of stolen cattle had been found among his herds. He is sure that they were, indeed, stolen by the tobacco thieves, encamped about three hours away. At present he was in contention with them and did not dare to send any of his people thither to ask for the cattle. He would otherwise gladly do so.'

'Do you believe him?'

'No.'

'Neither do I. Be off. Stay alert. The time has arrived to find out who is friend and who is foe.' The Commander paced the grounds of the fort, Gabemma by huis side.

'More acts of cattle theft had been reported,' said Gabemma. 'This time it was the freemen, Visagie, and Stevens who were hit. The Hottentoos had driven off four oxen of Visagie and thrashed the herd. They made off with an unknown number of cattle that belonged to Steven.'

The Commander threw his hands in the ait and snorted. 'Keep Gogosoa in detention. Tell Reindersz not to release him until all the stolen cattle comes back.'

The next day the Commander presented himself, in person, to the freeman, Visagie. 'Any luck with the retrieval of your stolen cattle?'

Visagie responded with a mixture of anger and sadness. 'Regrettably, they are still lost.'

The two men stood side-by-side and looked across the fields where the rest of his slaves were busy ploughing and sowing. The Commander's sight was soothed when he studied the twenty bodies toiling beneath the hot sun, pulling up reeds and trees.