13| YOUR GOD IS NOT MY GOD

Krotoa was up at first light. Maria, still in bed, pulled the blanket over her head as another sunlit day unfolded outside.

'Mevrouw?' Krotoa stood in the doorway, waiting for a response. Maria grunted, threw the blankets to one side and sat up, her head against the wooden headboard.

'There.' She gestured with eyes to a pile of material stacked on a chair. 'Place it with the rest. I have no need for it.'

Krotoa glanced at the chair. 'Those colours will look beautiful on you, Madame. Better than black.'

'We mourn our dead in black.'

'When we die we are return to the earth. That's what Autshumao's says when we Tsui calls one of us home.' Krotoa picked up the material. She paused at the door. 'Why do you mourn? And why must you wear black to remember your dead? Is it in that book that your Tsui left for you?' She pointed to the Bible.

Maria reached out and picked up the Bible. 'No. In here it says I must be happy He called them home.' She opened it at the marker sticking out on top and ran her fingers over the page.

'Then do what your Tsui orders. Make yourself new dresses. You have enough black ones.'

'Stop. Your ancestor, whatever you call him, is different. Your god is not my God. My God is in here, now leave. I gave you an order.'

Krotoa took the fabric and sauntered to the next room where the rest were stored away at the bottom of a huge cupboard. One by one she opened each piece of fabric. There were velvets, silks, cottons and the sheerest chiffons in bright red, blue, dark green and white. She took each piece, draped it around her body and ran her rough hands over the luxurious fabrics.

'Eva?' It was Maria. 'What are you doing?'

'Nothing.' Krotoa folded the piece in her hand and packed everything away under the watchful eyes of Maria.

'Stop with your lies.'

'Sorry, madam. Only shaking out the dust and folding them.'

'Those were not your orders.'

'My mistake. Sorry Madame. Will not happen again.'

'It better not. Prepare my bath. Then leave. Abraham needs attention.'

'Yes Madame.'

Later that afternoon the Commander summoned Krotoa to his office. Before he spoke she started explaining upon entering. 'I did nothing. I only opened the material and folded it-'

He leaned back in his chair, folded his arms and looked at from behind his desk. Leisurely he lit his pipe and listened without making eye contact or responding. When she finally stopped rambling about everything she had done and how the madame saw her shake the dust from the beautiful fabric, he scoffed.

'That's not why you are here.'

'No?'

'You have a new assignment. An important one. Very important.'

She moved closer to his desk. 'A new assignment?'

'Watch that Domineer for me.'

SUSANNA जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें