24| AIM OF THE ASSEGAI AND THE POISON OF THE COBRA

Krotoa was on her way to Susanna, with permission, and instructed to waste no time.

'If you are here to tell me about Nommoa, forget it.'

'He was injured in the war against the Dutch. His wounds are not healing but he is safe from the Commander.'

'That is the story of Nommoa. What is yours, Krotoa? You pass back and forth between the soldiers without any difficulty. Nommoa said you were a chameleon.'

'You sound as bitter as Nommoa.' She giggled. 'You two would have made a good match. He says many things about me. Even accused me of the capture of Autshumao.'

'Autshumao's captured?'

'Yes.'

'That is...'

'It is bad out there, Susanna. After they lost the war things are bad for our people.'

'I am sorry.'

'Me too. The Commander lied. Told me to bring Autshumao to the fort... Said he wanted to keep him safe from the Caapmen, and I believed him.' She scoffed. 'Nommoa and the Commander betrayed me. They used me and dragged him before the Commander's court like a criminal.'

'Can they do that?'

'I do not know anymore. The Commander said Nommoa pointed the finger of murder and cattle theft to Autshumao. It happened about six winters ago. Nommoa was their witness... he accused him of stealing their cattle and killing a Dutch shepherd boy.'

'And you believe the Commander?'

'I am not sure. It could have been one of his sons... autshumao is not a murderer... Everybody cried when they took him to the island. In a cattle boat.'

'To mad Eva's Island?'

'I hear he is miserable there. But he knows that island. If anyone will make it back to the mainland it is Autshumao of the Goringhaicona.'

Susanna was deep in thought. 'There is something I do not get. Why would Nommoa blame you if you were both responsible for his capture?'

Krotoa's face settled into one of her expressions that Susanna had come to recognise but was unable to fathom. She was never certain if it was a foreboding of the truth or her twist on it. Watching it extend to someone she loved, she steeled herself. 'To save his honour,' came the dry response.

'I do not understand.'

'Susanna, Susanna.... Ever so eager to believe every heart bubbles white and pure as the foam of the waves in the bay.'

'Is that wrong?'

'When I was little we sat around a fire at night. There was music that came from horns and drums with animal skins pulled tight over them. And there was dancing. Lots of dancing and laughter till the break of day. The elders smoke their pipes and told stories.'

'You had a great childhood.'

'We did.'

'Sorry.'

'What for?'

'Interrupting.'

'You might have one ear but you listen when people speak. You do not need another ear.'