31| BAPTISMAL SACRAMENT

'Congregation, God has gathered us here... on this holy Sunday of March 21 in the year 1666 to be his witnesses. Minister de Voogd's voice cleaved through the small church. 'The sacrament of baptism that brings us together as a congregation today... that of a baby...an innocent creation is a joyous event.' He lowered his tone until he was barely audible. His eyes moved across the benches and paused on the distinguished officer of the VOC, his wife, and their child's godparents, gathered around the baptismal font.

'Jacob Huyssor and Janniken Duyssink,' he said, extending his hands to the couple. The radiant mother handed over the little bundle, dressed in a long white gown of lace and satin ribbon, to the minister. The child's face creased, and she began to cry in his clumsy grip. 'Jacomina, I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and Holy Spirit.' He was at the end of his ritual. 'Go ahead and shine the light of the Almighty wherever you find yourself in this world of sinners.' With the baby still in his arms, he approached the rest of the witnesses around the baptismal font. 'Jan Anthonij Haemste, Paul du Bois and Catherine Bel, will you support Jacomina's parents in their duty to bring her up as a Christian, and help her fight valiantly under the banner of Christ in an attempt to eradicate the wickedness and sin of this world?'

'With the help of God, we will,' the godparents responded.

He turned to the congregation who had turned up in their best Sunday clothes. Their faces radiated peace and inner fulfillment not uncommon to an auspicious occasion such as a baptism. Heads were nodding. Very few managed to remain dry-eyed.

'We welcome and accept little Jacomina, this beautiful newcomer to Christianity. Today she is one of us. From this moment on, she fights with us against the devil, and all evil, under the banner of God.' Satisfied, the baby lay in his arms, and for a few seconds a veil of bliss descended over the picture of pure innocence on the altar. 'Congregation, do you promise to support the parents in their quest to bring little Jacomina up as a worthy Christian in the house of the Lord?'

'With the help of God, we promise,' they responded.

'It's our duty. That is what God expects of us. He was silent for a while, looking over the church before he continued with renewed seriousness. 'Be his light. Show His infinite love, and extend his mercy to all, just as He shows His infinite love and selflessness to us every day. Carefully, he handed the baby to her parents, picked up the Bible and held it up. 'Be his hands and his feet. Flood his earth with never-ending love.

His eyes wandered to the few benches to his right, hidden from the sight of the congregation where Susanna watched on as the baptism of Jacomina came to a close.

'Susanna of Bengal, come forward,' he said, and waved his hand in her direction to approach the altar. She pressed the bundle tighter against her bosom when the plumed hats burnt into her.

'Come on, come forward,' he spurred her on.

She froze halfway to the alter, stared at the white faces and walked with measured steps to the front in the silence that had descended on the church.

An uneasiness had replaced the warm, tender mood. A discomfort was gaining momentum with every step of her bare feet. When she reached the font in her shapeless dress and loose apron the atmosphere was so hostile that it moved the mother to press the baby tighter.

De Voogd motioned her to hand over the infant. He removed the blanket that covered the face. The eyes, green as spring on the ocean were wide open in the dark face. His hair was straight and dark as his mother's. De Voogd swallowed.