unrequited

after hinata had picked the movie (princess and the frog) you were about ten minutes into the movie before you had fallen asleep on kageyama's shoulder. the boy looked down to your peaceful state, stroking your head softly, a small smile grew on his face. he rested his head on yours, a soft blush residing on his cheekbones.

he had always had feelings for you.

ever since you had met him in the sixth grade, he admired you, your smile, the way you'd laugh uncontrollably after making a stupid joke, the way that you'd look at him when he wiped your tears. however, he knew that he could never be yours, you were a year older than him and to him, you were out of his league. it was apparent to him that he had no chance with you, so he settled with being the "boy best friend", the shoulder to cry on after a breakup; the one to pick you up in the middle of the night to sneak out; the one you needed.

that was always how it was, before akaashi showed up. after he swept you off of his feet, kageyama was only left to feel jealous of the other setter. in his eyes, he couldn't compete with the older, more mature boy. he was, once again, left with the role of being the 'best friend'.

it wasn't hard for him to hide how he felt, after all, he used the fact that you were a very affectionate person to his advantage, making it seem like he was only playing along with your antics. on the other hand, it was hard to stay calm when you were constantly hugging or resting on him, he would usually brush you off or laugh at you, even if it broke his heart slightly.

kageyama loved you and he never loved you back, when he realised that you clearly liked akaashi, he felt the need to protect you from him. he wanted you to himself, whether or not you wanted him. he was fine with kuroo and kenma as he knew that you were related to kuroo and kenma just wasn't one for romance.

you let out a soft groan as you nuzzled even further into the crook of his neck, making butterflies erupt in his abdomen. was it worth it on his part to not tell you about his feelings? of course not, but he had known for a while that you never shared his unrequited feelings, and he was okay with that; as long as you stayed single.

a/n
this does not make sense whatsoever i might edit it but like he loves y/n n he doesn't want akaashi to have her basically 😭😭 i have writers block - -