Chapter 8

Percy's POV

I watch as the wolf takes off into the trees and there's a ping of pain in my chest as I watch him leave. I let out a sigh and started to walk towards the water. I stop right before I step into the water and reach down to take off my shoes, shocks, and roll up my jeans. I step into the water and feel my muscles relax as the tension rolls out of my body. I will the water to travel up my body and I slowly feel myself gain more energy. I close my eyes and raise it, taking a deep breath of the salty ocean breeze and let go of the water letting it fall back into the water. I focus on the world around me, and I feel like I'm a part of it. I can feel everything alive around me. The birds flying above the trees and the one resting in them, the deer running around and eating, and the fish swimming around close to the shore.

As I start to relax, and my mind wanders back to the wolf. 'He obviously wasn't a normal wolf but what was he?' then I remember the first rule dad gave me. 'Rule number one be careful what you do there are vampires and wolves shifters that live there.' that explains what he was but what was that feeling I got when we locked eyes. It felt like something in my chest was locked into place. Like I found something I'd been looking for my whole life.

My shoulders tense as I feel people approaching but stop as they whisper to each other. I don't eavesdrop out of respect because whatever they're talking about has nothing to do with me but as they continued to walk, but now towards me, I wish I had. I turn to face them and see a group of eight, seven boys and one girl, approaching me with friendly smiles on most faces except for the girl and the man that obviously is the oldest.

One walks from inside of the group and I take in his appearance. The first thing I notice is the fact that he's not wearing a shirt and unlike the rest of his friends he's completely dry. He has, like most of the people in this group, tan skin, and a nice jawline. Then I notice his eyes, they are the same beautiful brown as the wolves but before I have any time to dwell on what he speaks. "Hey, you must be new here." I don't say anything at first before chuckling.

"I know that was you trying to be nice but what is this, a teenage awakening movie? I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to hear that on my first day of school." my statement causes him to laugh awkwardly. ''Sorry for bothering you, it's just that I-we don't recognize you and you don't seem like you're from here.'' I turn to face them completely and raise my eyebrows. ''What gave it away?''

''Your super tan. Are you from Arizona because we have a friend that just moved here from there last year?" One of the other guys said. I'm surprised to hear this. "No, I'm from New York." he nods his head.

"So, why'd you move here?" The question comes from the only girl in the large group. 'Leah, come on you gotta remember their names.' "Whoa, can I at least get your name if we are going to continue this very random game of 21 questions." The oldest of the group steps forward and introduces himself. "I'm Sam, they" he says motioning behind him "are Embry, Quil, Seth, Leah, Paul, Jared and Jacob." as Sam says their names, they wave at me. "So?" turn my head slightly to the right and make eye contact with a slightly grumpy looking guy 'Paul, think his name is.' "So, what? He tsk his tongue at me "We didn't catch your name anywhere in that conversation." smile slightly "That's probably because I didn't throw it. And I wouldn't really consider that a conversation, more of an interrogation in my opinion but hey, you do you.'' My smile only grows at the obvious annoyed look on his face. Um do you think we could have your name. This kind of question comes from the Jacob guy. "I guess Percy, Percy Jackson. My real first name is Perseus but for the love of Zeus don't call me that."

"So, you gonna answer my question?"

"Depends, you gonna to tell me why you want to know. You do know it's really weird for a large group of people to walk up to someone that's alone on a beach.'' Jacob looks slightly embarrassed. ''We thought that if we approached you all together then you would be less nervous as if some approached and some stayed behind. And we're asking because it's been a long time since someone new has come to Forks or La Push.''