Chapter 6

~ Time Skip ~

Ah, midterms. The frantic season of feverish paranoia that crept up on every newsie and caught us by surprise, every single year. I'd seen midterm season coming, and reserved a large study room for all of us, including soulmates, to work in together. It was in the most distraction-free environment ever. Frosted glass doors and windows and noise-canceling walls were only a few of the features the room included. We'd practically been living in it for the last three days as we scrambled to complete study guides, turn in extra credit assignments last-minute, take naps, and tie up other loose ends.

Race and Albert were sitting side by side on the floor, attempting to study between chugging energy drinks. Oddly enough, their glows were pulsing, as if the excess energy was being emitted through them. Jack was lying on the floor below Roni, who was lying on the couch in our study room. Couri and Spot were in a corner playfully fighting over an outlet to charge their devices. Everyone else was at the long table in our room, study materials scattered about.

"Anyone want to come stretch their legs with me? I need to go find some books." I sighed, running my fingers through my tangled, messy red hair. The professor for my classic literature class, which I was taking for a credit filler, had just told us the books we needed to study for our midterm exam.

"I'll come. I could use a walk." Jojo stood up and stretched his arms.

"Me too!" Buttons shot up from his place at the table.

"Might as well. Count me in!" Crutchie also rose from his chair, grabbing his crutch.

As we walked, I noticed how many pairs of soulmates there were. Everywhere you looked, golden light seeped through the cracks between books as soulmates shared whispers of poetry or some other small form of intimacy in fleeting moments. Maybe it was because college had kept me busier than I expected, therefore keeping me from meeting new people, but I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy toward the couples here.

The boys must have noticed because Crutchie piped up. "Hey Shiner, when was the last time you really got out?"

"I came here last weekend." I said softly, reminding everyone to keep quiet if we were going to engage in conversation.

"Shiner, going to the library is not 'going out'." Jojo facepalmed. We entered the classic literature section and I started scanning the shelves, running my fingers across the spines of the books, muttering the titles of the books I needed under my breath.

"We should take you out somewhere!" Buttons suggested eagerly.

"We could introduce you to some people. I know a cute guy from my-" Crutchie stopped abruptly.

Oblivious to what Crutchie was seeing, I continued my search. "Boys, I appreciate the support, I really do, but soulmates are the last thing I need to worry about right now," I said, grabbing books off the shelf. "It's midterm season, and I really need to focus. Falling in love is definitely not ideal, especially when-" I found the last book I needed and pulled it out, to find a pair of brown eyes staring right back into my green ones with curiosity.

I flipped open the book to prevent awkward silence, skimming the preface. Jojo, Crutchie, and Buttons were whispering excitedly behind me. As I read, I noticed that I felt a little warmer than usual, despite the library being constantly cold.

"Maddie..." Crutchie hissed, tugging at the sleeve of my shirt.

"Hm?" I hummed in response, flipping to the first chapter.

"LOOK!" Crutchie and Buttons whisper-shouted, clearly exasperated.

"At what?" I turned my attention away from the book. "Wait a minute, where'd Jojo-" Buttons grabbed my right wrist and held my hand up to my face. Soft, golden rays were slowly ascending my digits as more of the glow made its way up to my shoulders.

Jojo came around the corner of one of the aisles with the tall brown-eyed stranger, also in the process of being engulfed in the aura, in tow. "Maddie, meet David."