Chapter 13

~ Time Skip ~

"You ready for this?" I asked Couri. All the newsies were walking to the stadium to watch the college football championship game, which Spot was starring in. We were still pretty far away from the complex, but the noise was still deafening since the crowd was as excited as possible. It wasn't just a championship title at stake today, though. Today was the day Couri and Spot were going public with their relationship. If this wasn't taken well by the press or if Couri was getting stalked by campus pararrazi, Spot had agreed to significantly reduce his press time.

"Ready as I'll ever be!" Couri beamed, looking towards the jumbotron, which was visible from our vantage point. A slideshow previewing all of our players was on loop, and Spot was being featured as we spoke.

"We'll be right there with ya, C." Jack placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Inside the stadium complex, it was almost impossible to hear yourself think. The air in the stadium was filled with so much energy, it almost felt electrically charged. Spot, ever influential, had gotten everyone sideline seats, setting the stage for their big announcement. Once we found our seats, Finch opened up his jacket to reveal a dozen bottles of water.

"How did you even..." Davey asked, awestruck at Finch's smuggling abilities.

"I got my ways." Finch grinned at David, handing me a water bottle.

"Better than paying for the stadium stuff, right?" I pointed out, twisting the cap off.

Our focus now shifted to the players warming up on the field. I noticed Couri's eyes immediately drift to Spot, number 3. It was a little chilly outside, but everyone saw the blush venturing up her cheeks.

"Your glow's gonna start up soon if you don't get it together, C." Race chuckled, giving her a playful nudge.

"Someone give me something else to focus on then!" Couri whispered, frantically looking for a distraction.

"Hey, go through that new combo you're learning in your head. That should work." Jack suggested, reminding Couri of a new dance routine she was learning.

Thankfully, reminding her of dance gave Couri a distraction until the game started. As they announced the starters for the game, the noise level from our side of the stadium was explosive. Our team scored the first touchdown, but our opponents put up a good fight, scoring two. We fought tooth and nail for our second touchdown right before halftime. That was when the first part of Couri and Spot's plan came into play. The announcer for the game was just as shocked as the next person.

"Number three, Spot Conlon, is determined to get that ball in the endzone as he- He's getting dragged to the ground! He's on the ground! But he's reached his arm out just far enough that it looks like...THOMPSON IT LOOKS LIKE WE'RE ALL TIED UP! Conlon has done it again! And now we're noticing as he's getting up... It appears Spot Conlon is glowing! No, no, not metaphorically, he's actually glowing! He's blown a kiss out to his soulmate, and let's see if we can find her here in the audience... Oh, Thompson would you look at that, she's right there on the sidelines! Do we know who she is? Get the reporters on that, Thompson. That's gonna be big..."

Halftime came and went, and I'll spare you most of the details of the second half, but we won with a field goal kicked by Spot. Couri and Spot's glows returned as the celebration of the team broke. Spot removed his helmet and walked over to where we were standing. The roar of the crowd rose again when everyone noticed Spot and Couri were now on the jumbotron, thanks to a camera hidden on a cooler.

"We still doin' this?" Couri asked Spot, leaning down to greet him.

"I'm ready if you are." Spot beamed as their glows grew to the brightest they'd ever been.

"Ladies and gentlemen, it appears that we now have an identity for Spot Conlon's soulmate. The lucky girl is Couri Romano, a dance major right here on our campus..."

The announcer droned on about little facts about Couri as a glittery pink filter came over the screen of the jumbotron. The crowd knew what this meant. Soon, chants of "Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!" were echoing through the entire stadium. Spot stood up a little taller, and their lips met, much to the delight of the crowd. After a few seconds, they broke apart, and Spot was dragged away to take pictures with the championship trophy, still shining as brightly as ever.