Chapter 13: Cocytus Trials (Part 1)

[Ridan 14, 0100 A.R., Aquea]

[Axtonian Ziggurat, Myrkish Empire of Aegiot]

[Noxamir]

Galen stiffened as if he had sensed something was off earning a curious look from Revan and Uriel as they walked through a dry and sandy wasteland.

"Are you having a stroke or something?" Revan said with a scowl, the last few days had been somewhat exhausting as he had spent most of the time not carrying Galen's bags was also Galen himself who was having a massive hangover and was too exhausted to carry on forcing him to carry him as well.

"It's nothing, but it's sweet of you to care," He said teasingly as he gave a gentle pat on Revan's shoulder earning a glare from him. "No need to glare, we're almost there so you don't have to carry my stuff around."

Revan looked to Uriah who simply smiled and gave him a reassuring smile.

"This way," Galen said as they pushed onwards. The three of them pushed onwards climbing atop a steep hill, but as Revan neared the peak of that hill he was quickly given a beautiful yet melancholic sight.

Within the shifting sands of Noxamir lies a massive city that from the distance resembled that of a traditional Ziggurat from what he had seen in real life pictures from it. But this one was half-sunken into the earth as if it had fallen into a state of disarray and that they could have easily chosen to restore it but there was something about its desolation that made it...beautiful like it was meant to suffer this fate and it accepted it.

Unlike the Winterhaven Castle that was once beautiful but was marred by years of disrepair nor the Monastery of Storm's Fist that remained a beautiful sight. The Axtonian Ziggurat could have been a beautiful place to see and yet despite its almost tragic state it had made it even more beautiful.

"Like the view?" Galen smirked at him as he and Uriah then slid down the hill with Revan following after him.

The interior of the Ziggurat as well as perhaps even more impressive, while it lacked any form of defence against any invasion force, the interior was a melancholic sight. Much like how the Ziggurat on the outside looked as if it was half-sunken into the land and left to decay, the interior shows a different story.

Upon entering you would be greeted with a long yet decaying mosaic floor detailing the life of Saint Axton Duskwarden, though it should be noted that some of the mosaic artworks that explain it have been shattered or faded away adding more into the mystery of what he was in life.

But within that massive hall also can be found small mudbrick homes that were carefully built along the hall and yet their placement looked so organic that one might think these homes were part of the Ziggurat's initial structure.

"Where are the walls and defences?" Revan asked as he, Uriah and Galen enter. He noticed upon entering the two proceeded to kowtow before the entrance, he decided to follow what they did as a way of not only showing his respect to the Saint but to also learn more.

"There aren't any," Galen said with a shrug as he stood up not bothering to dust himself off much as Uriah did.

"This is hallowed ground," Uriah added as he helped Revan as he still carried Galen's bags. "Having the Axtonian Ziggurat be fitted with walls or weapons is tantamount to heresy."

"This place is indeed sacred that even renovating and restoring it to its former glory is something to be considered of an insult," Galen nodded as he led the way walking further into the Temple City and along the way he earned the looks of the people.

"It's Blackguard Galen!" One of them shouted excitedly causing many to look at their direction even more.

"Blackguard Galen has returned from his travels!" Another announced as the three of them made their way to the Center as a crowd was waiting for them. Not long afterwards the three of them were then greeted by an approaching group of Disciples dressed in ceremonial garb.